Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 45,207 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Three Button Headset

Tip us?

ottothecow
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Audio [Q] Three Button Headset

How do I make a three button headset work with my Moto X?

Yesterday I got a set of free headphones from a Samsung Galaxy Mega promo booth. They had three buttons (normal button plus volume up and down) so I sent a tweet with their #makeitmega hastag and got my free swag...and promptly deleted the tweet.

Unfortunately, none of the buttons do anything. The volume up and down do nothing while I am on a call, and the other button didn't seem to do anything either. Is there any way to make this work? Its not like I am trying to use an apple headset...samsung was giving these away so presumably they work with android.
The Following User Says Thank You to ottothecow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

icase81
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottothecow View Post
How do I make a three button headset work with my Moto X?

Yesterday I got a set of free headphones from a Samsung Galaxy Mega promo booth. They had three buttons (normal button plus volume up and down) so I sent a tweet with their #makeitmega hastag and got my free swag...and promptly deleted the tweet.

Unfortunately, none of the buttons do anything. The volume up and down do nothing while I am on a call, and the other button didn't seem to do anything either. Is there any way to make this work? Its not like I am trying to use an apple headset...samsung was giving these away so presumably they work with android.
Samsung headsets are different than normal 'Apple Comaptible' headsets. The middle button and mic work on all my Apple headsets, but my Samsung specific headset, nothing works. I'm wondering if the M4D3 Sol Republic ones on the Moto site will have 3 buttons/work properly?

terabyte128
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by icase81 View Post
Samsung headsets are different than normal 'Apple Comaptible' headsets. The middle button and mic work on all my Apple headsets, but my Samsung specific headset, nothing works. I'm wondering if the M4D3 Sol Republic ones on the Moto site will have 3 buttons/work properly?
I bought the Sol Republic headphones (separately, but they're the same model) and the middle play/pause button works but the volume ones don't.

Sent from my Moto X
I'm learning the ropes of Android hacking!

Sign up for Dropbox with this link and we'll both get 500MB of free space! http://db.tt/a3jj3RK

ottothecow
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by terabyte128 View Post
I bought the Sol Republic headphones (separately, but they're the same model) and the middle play/pause button works but the volume ones don't.

Sent from my Moto X
Wait, so they are selling 3-button headphones in colors to match the phones...and the volume buttons don't even work?

I have still been unable to get *any* of the buttons on this samsung headset to work. I have some one button headsets that I am assuming will work (though I haven't tried yet), but the volume controls would be nice, especially when you are on a conference call where some people are on really loud handsets and others are on super quiet speakerphones.

terabyte128
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottothecow View Post
Wait, so they are selling 3-button headphones in colors to match the phones...and the volume buttons don't even work?

I have still been unable to get *any* of the buttons on this samsung headset to work. I have some one button headsets that I am assuming will work (though I haven't tried yet), but the volume controls would be nice, especially when you are on a conference call where some people are on really loud handsets and others are on super quiet speakerphones.
I can't speak for the earbuds that you actually get with the phone, but I'm 99% sure that the ones I have are the same, and no, the volume buttons don't work.

EDIT: unless the ones that Moto ships which the phones are customized somehow, which seems unlikely but I suppose it's possible.

Sent from my Moto X

Sign up for Dropbox with this link and we'll both get 500MB of free space! http://db.tt/a3jj3RK

icase81
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by terabyte128 View Post
I can't speak for the earbuds that you actually get with the phone, but I'm 99% sure that the ones I have are the same, and no, the volume buttons don't work.

EDIT: unless the ones that Moto ships which the phones are customized somehow, which seems unlikely but I suppose it's possible.

Sent from my Moto X
They do claim they are 'M4DE' for Motorola and prominently feature the volume buttons in the presser. Whether thats just marketing/pr not talking to the engineers, who knows.

http://www.motorola.com/us/m4de-for-family-page.html

Secretwar1
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by icase81 View Post
They do claim they are 'M4DE' for Motorola and prominently feature the volume buttons in the presser. Whether thats just marketing/pr not talking to the engineers, who knows.

http://www.motorola.com/us/m4de-for-family-page.html
The ones that moto ships only have a single center button, the model with the volume buttons is designed for iphone
The Following User Says Thank You to Secretwar1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

icase81
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretwar1 View Post
The ones that moto ships only have a single center button, the model with the volume buttons is designed for iphone
Really? On motos page it distinctly shows volume control as well. If that's true, that is mighty lame of them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

johnny grep
Old
Thanks Meter 5
There's something odd with the headset jack... My Native Union POP Phone won't work on it either.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

terabyte128
Old
(Last edited by terabyte128; 20th September 2013 at 06:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretwar1 View Post
Well at least that explains it. It's a bit disappointing though, I was looking forward to that as sort of a new feature for an android phone. I can't believe they haven't done it yet - I mean, how hard can it possibly be?