FORUMS

[Q] Moto X GSM DE Bootloader Unlock Issues

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By dragon 551, Junior Member on 11th March 2014, 02:56 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
New to forum... hoping for some guidance.

History - bought a Moto X late last year befor the 4.4 rollout. Specifically wanted a non-KitKat model so I asked Motorola sales to verify that they were still shipping with 4.2.2. He said yes so I ordered the phone. Received the phone and it had 4.4 installed. Knew this was going to be an issue
and as suspected ended up not being able to access my Outlook server and / or My Places on the updated 7.0 Google Maps. Called Motorola and they basically said too bad so I sent the phone back.

Spoke with one of their techs and they mentioned that I should order a DE model and just back date the firmware when I receive it. Saw the DE models go on sale so I ordered one. Received the phone with 4.4.2.

Unlocked the bootloader via Motorola.
Downloaded Motorola Firmware 4.2.2 from their developer website
Followed the instructions posted in the XML file and received a
gpt.bin file security error and got a bootloop
Tried everything to get the firmware to load past the gpt.bin error to no avail
reload unlock code
install 4.4.2 without updating gpt.bin
attempt to update via RSDlite ( same error )

Ended up having to reload 4.4.2 which worked

After doing a bunch of research it looks as though the gpt.bin ( bootloader ) is relocked on 4.4.2 and will
fail any attempt to install a previous version. Not sure what advantage there is to buying a Developer Edition
phone if Motorola releases updates that kill the ability to unlock the bootloader.

Is there any way around this...?

Motorola help has been pathetic....

Really need to get stock DE 4.2.2 and root onto this phone.

11th March 2014, 03:04 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 183

More
check the stick thread for info on downgrading FW.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...uides-t2603358

basically you can get back to 4.2.2 but you just have to make sure you don't flash certain things and you can never accidentally take an OTA or you will brick your phone.

my suggestion is not to do that at all and figure out what your issue is and how to solve it. seems relatively easy. you can also flash many other roms out there that will probably fix your issue. you can also install an older maps version if that is your only problem.

so what do you mean you can access outlook server? that is typically just a fine tuning issue when you set the email account up. there are also various email apks out there that you can run (even ones based on stock email app that will most certainly work).

and you can't access my places because why? what is the issue. it will be easier to solve these problems then you risking screwing your phone up and not getting the extra benefits of 4.4.2
11th March 2014, 03:49 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks for the feedback - still looking
Thanks for the link and post. Verified what I was expecting...

It looks like taking the 4.4.2 update pretty much removes any possibility of easily downgrading to a previous firmware: regardless of whether you paid extra for a Deeveloper Edition phone. Motorola needs to seriously take this into account in how they advertise this. Even now the phones are STILL listed as shipping with 4.2.2 on their website and the developer page still states that you can downgrade so long as you have a DE edition. Both of which are no longer the case ( fraudulent advertising ).

My issues with KitKat are numerous. The main one being 4.2.2 worked great... no problems, easy to navigate, no bloat crap.

KitKat has caused some significant Outlook exchange issues. Most of these have been solved but I still have two sent folders in the same mailbox and occasionally get kicked off the server connection. Another issue is the bundling of Google Maps 7.0. No way to access My Places in Google Maps with the update past 6.14. I have about 30 maps I use for business travel in Europe and the US... none of which are accessible by the Google Maps update... not possible to fix this as the update is now bundled. The new maps is also useless for local searches and navigation / traffic.

Some other issues with KitKat are the notifications now including the stupid coloured squares for Google +. I can eliminate them ( turn off ) in the email app but they take up about 40% of the screen on the notifications screen, drop down menu and contacts list. Absolute waste of space as even if I had photos for all of these it wouldn't be possible to make out a 1/2" square picture at arms length any ways.

Battery issues.... lower battery life in the time that I have worked with both phones. I would estimate a drop of about 15% from the 4.2.2 firmware. Doubt this is easily fixable without additional updates.

Loss of root and no longer being able to run Titanium backup. No longer able to back up specific apps or to eliminate updates I don't want.
Seeing how crappy this update has been I am less than amused at having to turn off the Motorola Update notification every 12 hours even if I have no intention of updating.

Sorry .. bit of a rant...

Unless someone can point me in the direction of a way to downgrade I am pretty much resigned to sending the phone back to Motorola.
11th March 2014, 03:56 PM |#4  
Forum Moderator
Flag The Old Republic
Thanks Meter: 8,743

More
The dev edition has all the same rules and limitations as any other unlocked Moto x. The ONLY difference is you keep your warranty.

And Nexus methods and flashing rules definitely do not apply to the Moto x. Not even close.

Sent from my N5 cell phone telephone....

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

And remember, if you do go back to 4.2.2, and accidentally accept an OTA....ever....you may very well brick your phone. Dev edition or non dev edition. Be careful.

Agree with the above poster, figure out your issues. They can be solved. Or do you plan to stay on 4.2.2 forever?

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon 551

Thanks for the link and post. Verified what I was expecting...

It looks like taking the 4.4.2 update pretty much removes any possibility of easily downgrading to a previous firmware: regardless of whether you paid extra for a Deeveloper Edition phone. Motorola needs to seriously take this into account in how they advertise this. Even now the phones are STILL listed as shipping with 4.2.2 on their website and the developer page still states that you can downgrade so long as you have a DE edition. Both of which are no longer the case ( fraudulent advertising ).

My issues with KitKat are numerous. The main one being 4.2.2 worked great... no problems, easy to navigate, no bloat crap.

KitKat has caused some significant Outlook exchange issues. Most of these have been solved but I still have two sent folders in the same mailbox and occasionally get kicked off the server connection. Another issue is the bundling of Google Maps 7.0. No way to access My Places in Google Maps with the update past 6.14. I have about 30 maps I use for business travel in Europe and the US... none of which are accessible by the Google Maps update... not possible to fix this as the update is now bundled. The new maps is also useless for local searches and navigation / traffic.

Some other issues with KitKat are the notifications now including the stupid coloured squares for Google +. I can eliminate them ( turn off ) in the email app but they take up about 40% of the screen on the notifications screen, drop down menu and contacts list. Absolute waste of space as even if I had photos for all of these it wouldn't be possible to make out a 1/2" square picture at arms length any ways.

Battery issues.... lower battery life in the time that I have worked with both phones. I would estimate a drop of about 15% from the 4.2.2 firmware. Doubt this is easily fixable without additional updates.

Loss of root and no longer being able to run Titanium backup. No longer able to back up specific apps or to eliminate updates I don't want.
Seeing how crappy this update has been I am less than amused at having to turn off the Motorola Update notification every 12 hours even if I have no intention of updating.

Sorry .. bit of a rant...

Unless someone can point me in the direction of a way to downgrade I am pretty much resigned to sending the phone back to Motorola.

You can root. Easily. That should not be an issue....and your bonus for having the dev edition ....you still keep your warranty.

11th March 2014, 04:06 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Possibly....
First off I want to say thanks for the quick feedback being provided... : ) Much appreciated.

I would actually be quite happy locking the phone into 4.2.2 permanently. Once I have it working the way I want I would have no issues disabling all updates and leaving it as is.

I would be willing to try a different ROM but stability then becomes a bigger issue.

The issue I have with Motorola is their tech guys actually suggested I get this phone specifically because it would allow me to backdate the firmware. They basically up selled me after returning the other device. I wouldn't have gone through the hassle of buying a MORE expensive phone had I known this was going to happen.

How do I root a Developer Edition GSM phone on 4.4.2... ? Haven't been able to find a method to accommodate that. Is root through TWRP still a viable option on 4.4.2 ?
11th March 2014, 04:24 PM |#6  
Forum Moderator
Flag The Old Republic
Thanks Meter: 8,743

More
Same as 4.4....same as 4.2.2 actually. Just need the 4.4 twrp version. Or cwm.

11th March 2014, 05:01 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

First off I want to say thanks for the quick feedback being provided... : ) Much appreciated.

I would actually be quite happy locking the phone into 4.2.2 permanently. Once I have it working the way I want I would have no issues disabling all updates and leaving it as is.

I would be willing to try a different ROM but stability then becomes a bigger issue.

The issue I have with Motorola is their tech guys actually suggested I get this phone specifically because it would allow me to backdate the firmware. They basically up selled me after returning the other device. I wouldn't have gone through the hassle of buying a MORE expensive phone had I known this was going to happen.

How do I root a Developer Edition GSM phone on 4.4.2... ? Haven't been able to find a method to accommodate that. Is root through TWRP still a viable option on 4.4.2 ?

ya you are just confused about everything you can do. First, run eclipse rom. It is extremely stable and built off the source code so all the moto features still stay there that you love. This is also why it is so stable. Also, I am getting much better battery life than 4.2.2 with eclipse rom. Eclipse rom will improve your battery life beyond belief.

you can easily root the phone since it is unlocked. you just flash twrp and then reboot and you will get prompted to install root/supersu and you will be rooted. You will always be able to root your phone this way no matter the release because it is unlocked.

you can install any version of any app you want and remove any other version of anything that you have. Also, we can probably fix your exchange issues and using a third party app is always easy cheap and often has better features. Ill do a lil research on your my places stuff but there is probably a work around.

also the dailer for google now has search for your local stuff. But i haven't found maps do searches for local stuff that bad but its just me. I use yelp for restaurants anyway but places always appear on the maps when i search for them.

finally, you can downgrade to any FW you want. you just can't downgrade the Bootloader to any version. The only problem with this is that if you take an ota or try to run rsdlite then you may brick your phone. If you know what you are doing you wont brick your phone. Also, you would dsiable moto OTA to make sure you never took an OTA. This is highly highly not recommended bc a bricked phone sucks. Good news is that since you have a dev edition even if you brick it moto will give you a new one. But if you aren't even sure about how to root then i wouldn't suggest this bc you probably want to know a lil more about things before you try downgrading things.

edit: so some solutions for my places would be Road Tripper Android or Maps Engine which are separate apps but work well and integrate with your old "my places" stuff.

see these threads on the topic about those apps: https://productforums.google.com/for...ne/FIEj-kv2zsw
https://productforums.google.com/for...ps/wdluTC_kLYI

or you can use this very crappy work around http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...e-maps-update/

or you can just unistall the new google maps and install the last version that had my places and you will be good to go
Last edited by jayboyyyy; 11th March 2014 at 05:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayboyyyy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th March 2014, 05:31 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
How to...
Not so worried about bricking the phone at this point. I am fairly computer literate and don't have an issue working through stuff to get the phone set up the way I would like.

What base is Eclipse working on: 4.4 or 4.2 ..? Many of the updates I am not super happy with are system items that are not app related: ie. coloured boxes for contacts and notifications. These would probably still be stuck in play on 4.4 as they are not app items but system wide.

Battery was also a non-issue on 4.2.2. Since I know that works it makes the stock 4.2.2 firmware the most appealing at the moment.

How would I go about putting the stock 4.2.2 Moto X firmware onto the phone ? Really would rather give this a try as it was the whole
intention with the phone purchase. If I can get the unit back onto that I would just lock out any Moto Services / updates and leave it as is.

The firmware instructions Motorola provides ( Developer Pages ) end up putting the phone into a soft brick / boot loop when I load 4.2.2. Am unsure what other options are available to load the firmware I would like.
11th March 2014, 07:58 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

Not so worried about bricking the phone at this point. I am fairly computer literate and don't have an issue working through stuff to get the phone set up the way I would like.

What base is Eclipse working on: 4.4 or 4.2 ..? Many of the updates I am not super happy with are system items that are not app related: ie. coloured boxes for contacts and notifications. These would probably still be stuck in play on 4.4 as they are not app items but system wide.

Battery was also a non-issue on 4.2.2. Since I know that works it makes the stock 4.2.2 firmware the most appealing at the moment.

How would I go about putting the stock 4.2.2 Moto X firmware onto the phone ? Really would rather give this a try as it was the whole
intention with the phone purchase. If I can get the unit back onto that I would just lock out any Moto Services / updates and leave it as is.

The firmware instructions Motorola provides ( Developer Pages ) end up putting the phone into a soft brick / boot loop when I load 4.2.2. Am unsure what other options are available to load the firmware I would like.

i think eclipse is only 4.4 and 4.4.2 but there may have been a 4.2.2 out there.

First, which 4.2.2 are you trying. One is pre-camera and one is post-camera from what i remember.
2nd, provide a link to the dev pages you are referencing so i can see what you have tried.

im hesitant to tell you how to bc i have not done it and don't want you to fubar your phone. But basically you just flash everything but the BL which is the gpt.bin and motoboot.img if i remember correctly. Ill have to look into when i get home though. But there is a way to do it I think.
11th March 2014, 10:09 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Failing Flash Sequence and history
That would be awesome if it were that easy. Hope that is the case....

I am trying to install the Motorola Developer Software image provided on their website. Located here :

//motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images

Image files - Moto X, GSM Dev Edition: JB 4.2.2-13.9.0Q2.X-116-17-57-6 (Retail)
As there is only one file per series available ( 4.2 - 4.4 ) I am assuming they are the latest
file released. This would make it 4.2.2 post camera update.

This the .xml for the flash sequence :

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<flashing>
<header>
<phone_model model="PRO_1FF_TMO" />
<software_version version="ghost_retail-user 4.2.2 13.9.0Q2.X-116-X-17-57 6 release-keysMSM8960PRO_BP_2323.020.90.00R" />
<interfaces>
<interface name="AP" />
</interfaces>
</header>
<steps interface="AP">
<step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="gpt.bin" MD5="52E01174FCC8992835CC870E79E2CB14" />
<step operation="flash" partition="motoboot" filename="motoboot.img" MD5="34B3A02418240C805CCB2998B2343261" />
<step operation="reboot-bootloader" />
<step operation="flash" partition="logo" filename="logo.bin" MD5="1F8DBC99E41DFB7596DBC78687AC5E7B" />
<step operation="flash" partition="boot" filename="boot.img" MD5="9C021DF3BA418B4BFB537E1FA28701E8" />
<step operation="flash" partition="recovery" filename="recovery.img" MD5="95C344C991CFC15B784E0BF0444FEB7C" />
<step operation="flash" partition="system" filename="system.img" MD5="7B0A0D65D155154E84F47BCD9360E292" />
<step operation="flash" partition="modem" filename="NON-HLOS.bin" MD5="CBD78A081B4D1E2CB324D73E9A445E32" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst1" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst2" />
<step operation="flash" partition="fsg" filename="fsg.mbn" MD5="6C15610C6579346B34991186673F3125" />
</steps>
</flashing>

I have also tried using RSDlite for the flash ( without the "getvar" command ) but it also stalls at the gpt.bin security issue.
It won't let me flash anything beyond the initial step.

If I do the entire flash sequence manually ( 4.2.2- ignoring the security error - gpt.bin ) the phone takes all of the flashes but ends
up in a soft brick / boot loop. I can get out of this boot loop by re-flashing the full 4.4.2 image also located at the
same website as noted above.

Thanks in advance....
Last edited by dragon 551; 11th March 2014 at 10:24 PM.
12th March 2014, 12:07 AM |#11  

More
I don't think you should flash the motoboot.IMG either but I'm still not home. If I don't look at it tonight I'll check into it tom morning. See if that solves yours problem. If it does make sure to disable motorolaota immediately.

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)