Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,490 Members 44,403 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Just bought my Moto X. Question about the first time charge.

Tip us?

MrEndless
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Just bought my Moto X. Question about the first time charge.

So, the salesperson told me to fully use the current charge on the phone and then told me to charge it for 6 hours straight.
Now the 30% battery it had lasted for quite a while I fully discharged it, it turned off on its own.
Now it's been charging for 3 hours and it's already full. Should I leave it for the full 6 hours? or can I use it now?
I'm a bit anxious but I can wait if its better for the phone.

Thanks

scorpion667
Old
Thanks Meter 132
You're gonna get different answers with no scientific backing.
So here's the first: just do an extra 45 mins to an hour after it reaches 100%.

If you click the link in my sig and scroll to the bottom of that post you'll see my battery life which, is pretty decent.
Moto X [Rogers XT1058]
Stock 4.4.2, Rooted and heavily debloated
Moto X Debloat guide

Retired:
2x S2 i9100, iphone 4s, S3 I747, iphone 5, Nexus 4, HTC One
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpion667 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrEndless
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion667 View Post
You're gonna get different answers with no scientific backing.
So here's the first: just do an extra 45 mins to an hour after it reaches 100%.

If you click the link in my sig and scroll to the bottom of that post you'll see my battery life which, is pretty decent.
Thanks man

DaRkRhiNe
Old
Thanks Meter 103
This is sheer non sense. Once the phone reaches 100 percent, the kernel cuts off the charging . What use would it be by charging it for another 45 hrs?

lopezpm
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkRhiNe View Post
This is sheer non sense. Once the phone reaches 100 percent, the kernel cuts off the charging . What use would it be by charging it for another 45 hrs?
I second this. Charging batteries had specific charging instructions years ago, that no longer holds true. Just charge the phone and use it. it's not that big a deal.

scorpion667
Old
(Last edited by scorpion667; 5th June 2014 at 05:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 132
It's just for calibrating the battery.

Let me just get this out of the way: most of the time it doesn't make a difference.
The only time it could (not always) make a difference is one of the following scenarios:
-phone sat for a long time while turned off (i.e before you purchase it)
-you hooked up your phone to the charger many times throughout one day and didn't allow it to hit 98-100% before you unplugged.

The battery has a chip built in [most lithium ion batteries have this because they are A) explosive and B) can kill you] which is responsable for a few things:
-"guessing" your current battery percentage based on the minimum and maximum recorded voltage value. For example let's assume a phone with a 5v battery shuts off at 3v. When that battery reaches 4v it will display 50% battery left.
-deciding what the shutoff voltage is. What I mean by this is let's say for example when your 5v battery reaches 3v at the end of the day, the chip decides it's time to shut off the phone and prompt you to charge it back to 5v
-constantly reading the the voltage in order to use that data to perform the decisions listed above

The voltage sensors in phones are, well, pretty bad due to the inherent space and power limitations. The voltage values swing back and forth between different values that are (sometimes) close to the actual value the battery is at. So the battery chip has to calculate an average based on all these voltage values. It then uses that data to do it's job, which is shutting down your phone when it needs to as well as display battery percentage.

So by leaving the phone in for a little longer after 100% once in a while, all you're doing is allowing the battery chip to collect more voltage readings in order to calculate the average more accurately. You're just doing it for the sake of sample size.

Realistically unless your battery is not calibrated, it doesn't really make a difference. But a phone that just came out of a sealed box is likely to need calibration depending on the manufacture date, or how long it "sat" for.
Moto X [Rogers XT1058]
Stock 4.4.2, Rooted and heavily debloated
Moto X Debloat guide

Retired:
2x S2 i9100, iphone 4s, S3 I747, iphone 5, Nexus 4, HTC One

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkRhiNe View Post
It may cut off charging..

But on my X (Dev for Verizon, stock and rooted), even after reaching 100%, the battery symbol still continues to show the "lightning bolt"/charging symbol. If I leave it connected to my Anker Astro 3, it continues to draw power until I unplug it.

@MrEndless, I agree with DaRkRhiNe and scorpion667. You're never going to get a straight answer.

Me, I ran mine down until the phone shut itself off, then charged it up to 100% and left it go over night and took it off the charger in the morning.

Once every few weeks, i do the same. Run it down until it shuts off and then put it on the charger and let it go until its been at 100% for a while. I never really say "xx minutes" or "xx hours" after 100%. It just depends on how long before I have to leave the house.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-