XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The built-in backup and restore

Tip us?

redhonker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default The built-in backup and restore

In setting, there is a backup and restore. It seems to suggest that application data will be backed up and restored upon re-installation of an app.

Does this actually work? My quick test seems to say no but maybe I am just not patient enough.

Thanks
gTablet, DRH Jelly Bean 4.3
Kindle Fire HD 8.9, PAC-man
Moto X XT1058, AT&T 4.4
Samsung Galaxy S4 i337, AT&T, 4.3 rooted

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2647

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhonker View Post
In setting, there is a backup and restore. It seems to suggest that application data will be backed up and restored upon re-installation of an app.

Does this actually work? My quick test seems to say no but maybe I am just not patient enough.

Thanks
Doesn't work, and every time I have to wipe a non rooted phone I curse Google for not having a back up solution that works as seamlessly as Apple's.
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac
Oh BTW I'm fat.

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 671
According to Google there is, but I refuse to believe it. Never once has it actually worked.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyman View Post
Doesn't work, and every time I have to wipe a non rooted phone I curse Google for not having a back up solution that works as seamlessly as Apple's.
iOS doesn't restore app data either unless you do an itunes restore. Unless that's what you're talking about, then never mind.

DogzOfWar
Old
Thanks Meter 45
I think the problem is that Google provides an API and a framework for backing up, but apps need to use that API for their data to get backed up. I think for compatibility reasons, most apps do not implement this API. It truly sucks, and it's amazing there isn't some clean way to do this without rooting your phone.

imnuts
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2937

DONATE TO ME
You can use ADB backup to back up most of the stuff on your device. As the other user pointed out, most apps don't use the built in backup. It can restore many things though, but often falls well short of a full device restore.
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this