Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,479 Members 37,416 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Should I buy a Moto X?

Tip us?

vedantgp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 569

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Should I buy a Moto X?

I am eyeing the Motorola X as a successor to my current SGS4. Should I buy? Or should I wait for the next MX (X2?)?

I am looking into the Developer Edition. Motorola has a horrible reputation for updates (Atrix, Droid), but they have started keeping up with the X, I dont want the Lenovo sale to mess it up.

I am pretty engrossed by the features it provides, but the Nexus 5 is also an option...
Contributor to CyanFox and Merkmod and The Schism

+VedantMathur

My stuff

Moto X (XT1058; ghost)
Lumia 920 (RM820)
iPhone 5S (A1533)
Blackberry Bold (9930)
Wifi Nexus 7 2013 (flo)
Wifi iPad 2 Rev2 (A1395)

- AMD Phenom ii x4
- MSI (6gb/s)
- 320gb HDD
- 2tb SSD (NAS)
- 8gb DDR3 RAM

eksasol
Old
(Last edited by eksasol; 3rd February 2014 at 06:00 AM.)
Thanks Meter 695
If you've been reading the buyout then the impression is that Lenovo will not interfere with it and let Motorola continue its development.

The S4 is a pretty powerful phone, it have bigger screen, higher resolution, much better camera, microSD and removable battery which the Moto X doesn't have. The Moto X is well optimized, with stock Android, good form factor that is easy to use with one hand, and come with useful features. They are two different experience. You'll just have to see what suit you more and what you're looking for in a phone.

If you are willing to flash custom rom for the S4 and don't care about the touchless control features, you might not need to get a Moto X.

I much prefer the color calibration on the Moto X AMOLED display, it's not over-saturated and have more accurate white tone to me. Also while the S4 display is 1080p, its screen still not RGB pixel arrangement, while the Moto X display is.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,324
The Motorola sale won't impact the less than a year it has left for updates....so that should not factor into your decision.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

vedantgp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 569

DONATE TO ME
I will be using this phone for the next two years, so the buyout will affect me. Motorola will just be Motorola, but without the Google partnership. That can hurt a lot. I am pretty impressed with the moto x, and I love the touchless controls, that's why I considered it over the nexus 5...
Contributor to CyanFox and Merkmod and The Schism

+VedantMathur

My stuff

Moto X (XT1058; ghost)
Lumia 920 (RM820)
iPhone 5S (A1533)
Blackberry Bold (9930)
Wifi Nexus 7 2013 (flo)
Wifi iPad 2 Rev2 (A1395)

- AMD Phenom ii x4
- MSI (6gb/s)
- 320gb HDD
- 2tb SSD (NAS)
- 8gb DDR3 RAM

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedantgp View Post
I will be using this phone for the next two years, so the buyout will affect me. Motorola will just be Motorola, but without the Google partnership. That can hurt a lot. I am pretty impressed with the moto x, and I love the touchless controls, that's why I considered it over the nexus 5...
You can use the phone for 10 years....but with the unofficial 18 months of updates Google started....the Moto x has less than a year left to get updates.....no matter who owns the Moto x. The sale won't change anything that would or wouldn't happen in that short period. So weather Google owns Motorola or anyone else....updates will be done for the X before the sale matters to Motorola.

Get what I'm saying? Custom roms will be the Moto x's only updates by the time any changes happen at Motorola.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Again...if you want the x....get it. The new owners may or may not mess up Motorola some day....but it won't affect the X....it will already be done getting updates by then.

Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 695
The truth is if you but any other flagship that isn't a Nexus you are not guaranteed long updates period either. The fact that the Moto X have stock Android may give it longer update period than other phones with bloated UI. There is no reason why it should stop getting updates just because Lenovo bought it.

sent via tapatalk

Wing00w0
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Guys I have a xperia S and I want a new phone and I am considering the moto x but in Mexico the only version of the moto x it's the 16gb version compared with the 32gb of the xperia S.

It's worthing buy the 16gb moto x even if I lose 16gb of the 32 of the xperia S?
And I consider too the xperia zl so what do you think about the zl and the moto x?

Plz help me to decide

Sent from my LT26i using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Mobile: Black Moto X XT1053
Firmware: Stock 4.4.2
Rooted: No
Unlocked Bootloader: No

eksasol
Old
(Last edited by eksasol; 5th February 2014 at 04:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing00w0 View Post
Guys I have a xperia S and I want a new phone and I am considering the moto x but in Mexico the only version of the moto x it's the 16gb version compared with the 32gb of the xperia S.

It's worthing buy the 16gb moto x even if I lose 16gb of the 32 of the xperia S?
And I consider too the xperia zl so what do you think about the zl and the moto x?

Plz help me to decide

With the Moto X 16GB, you will only get 11GB of usable space. You can try to use some cloud storage to offset your data. You get 50gb of Google Drive storage when you buy a new Moto X.

Sony just announced end of life support for the Xperia S, no reason to get it: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02...ia-u-and-more/

The hardware of the Xperia S is not very good anymore. I've used the Snapdragon 3 chip on the American version of Galaxy SII, it's not very smooth and you might even struggle to play some 1080p contents. I can tell you from experience the Qualcomm S4 chip and KitKat 4.4 on the MotoX vs S3 chip and 4.1 with bloated UI on the Xperia S is night and day difference. Even the Moto G is a faster phone than the Xperia S and have latest version of Android.

The ZL on the other hand is a better phone, it have microSD support. It have 1080p screen, but poor viewing angle though. I don't think Sony will update their phones as well compared to Motorola, even though they are being bought by Lenovo I still think they will keep up with the updates. I love the Moto X for the stock Android experience, there are lots of things unique about it, but if storage space is your biggest needs then ZL may be better for you.

sent via my Le Motonovo X
The Following User Says Thank You to eksasol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wing00w0
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Then I think that I will go for the ZL if I can find in the Internet a motox of 32gb I'll buy it If not the ZL thanks

Mobile: Black Moto X XT1053
Firmware: Stock 4.4.2
Rooted: No
Unlocked Bootloader: No

htcone67
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The moto x is a decent phone. I got one in a trade and I like it, but the screen is too small for me. After using a note 2 it is hard to go to a smaller screen.