5,599,677 Members 46,210 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Buying this phone in a few hours. Need last minute help!!

Tip us?

Legend28469
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] Buying this phone in a few hours. Need last minute help!!

So I'm about to go and meetup with someone to buy this phone, but I just realized there are a ton of different variants. I'm just finding out that her phone is locked to Rogers so it's probably the XT1058 that she has. My question is: Is there a way to get this phone and specific model to work on Wind Mobile (or Tmobile's 3g network)? The band for Wind Mobile is AWS 1700.
Phone: Nexus One
ROM: Latest Cm7
Kernel: Latest Tiamat
Bootloader: LOCKED!!!

Tablet: Root Motorola Xoom [CAN] -- US Firmware
Rom: Tiamat Latest
[B]Google Plus[B] -- http://gplus.to/Legend28469

Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend28469 View Post
So I'm about to go and meetup with someone to buy this phone, but I just realized there are a ton of different variants. I'm just finding out that her phone is locked to Rogers so it's probably the XT1058 that she has. My question is: Is there a way to get this phone and specific model to work on Wind Mobile (or Tmobile's 3g network)? The band for Wind Mobile is AWS 1700.
i thought that Roger's had something going on that the device is basically locked in to their network... someone else can chime in here.

liveMike
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend28469 View Post
personally i wouldnt mess with trying to switch carriers with the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to liveMike For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1642
The Rogers phone can be carrier unlocked. I have one, it's unlocked and working on telus, lte and all.

But, better do some searching, cause I thought I read somewhere that it won't work on wind. Maybe I'm wrong, but better look into it or you may be disappointed.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

bongostl
Old
Thanks Meter 509
It works fine on wind. Had to sim unlock it, but that was it

Thankful for my help? Here's my favorite charity. Make a donation: http://ajws.org/
My Phones: N1>G2>MT4g>NS>G2X>Sensation>GS2(t989)>GN>N4>Moto X
Carrier: Net10--$45/m for Unlimited Calls/SMS + 2.5GB

Old
Thanks Meter 102
OP, based on the replies here, if you have yet to go through with the purchase, be sure to read up on the complications of unlocking the device for other carriers before making the decision that this phone is for you.

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongostl View Post
It works fine on wind. Had to sim unlock it, but that was it

A Rogers XT1058 will not work on Wind, it does not support HSPA on the 1700/2100 Mhz frequency band.

To the OP, you need an XT1053 model of the Moto X to use it with Wind Mobile.

The XT1053 is not sold in Canada, it is sold in the US as the retail/tmobile/gsm dev edition.

Unlocking a Rogers XT1058 is easy and less then 10 bucks but it still won't enable the AWS bands for HSPA. It will only work on Telus, Koodo, Bell, Virgin, Rogers and Fido.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1642
Yup ^^^

That's about what I read. And most unlocked phones I looked at before buying my Moto X said work on all carriers.. Except wind. Not just the Moto x either... The G2 was another for sure.

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone.....

Tags
different variant, motox, wind mobile, xt1058