XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Camera Focus

Tip us?

IndicaForest
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsonsai View Post
I do have the camera update installed. I have tried other camera apps including Camera Zoom and Shot Control.

Is anyone else having ridiculous problems with focusing--usually in macro situations? It's very frustrating and, frankly, embarrassing that the camera focuses so poorly. I often have to move the focus reticle around multiple times, reframe my shot, or just give up on trying to capture a focus in most macro situations (such as when I want to grab focus on an object real close and have the background blur out). I had no problems with this on my Gnex.

I just bought my Moto X over the Thanksgiving holiday and didn't know what the camera was like before the camera update, but I couldn't imagine it being worse than what I'm experiencing with it right now.

Here are two example photos of a gnome sitting a respectable 4-6" away from my camera. I found that if I moved the focus reticle onto the blue sleeve, it captured focus very well. However, if I tried to focus on the face or just brought the camera up to the gnome in a "real life situation", it wouldn't focus even after multiple movements of the focus reticle.
Download the app "Camera JB+" from the Play Store and all your problems are solved. I think it's 1.99.
Speaking of the horrible camera on this phone does anyone get bad flash glares in their photos while using flash?? I swear this phone would be perfect if it at least had a gs3 quality camera.

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Auto focus uses contrast measurement between lines of the sample area. If the area you're trying to focus on has little contrast, especially in low light, it will have a difficult time trying to focus.

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckyx View Post
Decided to do a micro-focus comparison vs my S2, here's a sample of both focusing as close as they can on my computer monitor. The best image from each was selected:

I'll let you guess which is which.

I know it's not apples-to-apples (this isn't the same type of problem) but the camera definitely has some serious issues.
I have an s2...And now a Moto x...not sure about you...But my x's camera blows my s2 away really.

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone.....

Eckyx
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
I have an s2...And now a Moto x...not sure about you...But my x's camera blows my s2 away really.

Check out this thread I posted a bit ago, did a comparison between the cameras side-by-side:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2550110

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1621
Quote:
Check out this thread I posted a bit ago, did a comparison between the cameras side-by-side:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2550110
That's your phones....And your picture taking techniques.....right?

I'm using fv-5, not stock app....And again...my Moto x blows my s2 away. My wife agrees.

Does it compare to my cheap 150 dollar Sony camera's pictures....nope. And no phone will.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Check the pictures thread to see what people have taken. Probably people who have spent time working on their technique with this phone....But some great pics in there.

Eckyx
Old
(Last edited by Eckyx; 5th January 2014 at 08:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:

Quote:
That's your phones....And your picture taking techniques.....right?

I'm using fv-5, not stock app....And again...my Moto x blows my s2 away. My wife agrees.

Does it compare to my cheap 150 dollar Sony camera's pictures....nope. And no phone will.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Check the pictures thread to see what people have taken. Probably people who have spent time working on their technique with this phone....But some great pics in there.

Yes, I'm using the latest update to the stock camera on the Moto X, and the stock camera app on the S2, both using stock settings. I retook pictures several times to prevent blurry shots. The Moto is definitely better indoors but outdoor performance is equal at best to the older module used in the S2. I'd be happy to purchase FV-5 and do a comparison using that if you'd like - what kind of technique am I supposed to have with a cellphone camera that has basically no controls or options? It's not like a DSLR - pretty much as point-and-shoot as you can get.

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1621
Quote:
Yes, I'm using the latest update to the stock camera on the Moto X, and the stock camera app on the S2, both using stock settings. I retook pictures several times to prevent blurry shots. The Moto is definitely better indoors but outdoor performance is equal at best to the older module used in the S2. I'd be happy to purchase FV-5 and do a comparison using that if you'd like - what kind of technique am I supposed to have with a cellphone camera that has basically no controls or options? It's not like a DSLR - pretty much as point-and-shoot as you can get.
Fv-5 let's you control everything...or just point and shoot too. Yes....it takes time to learn what to change and when....But it can do much more than stock. Someone who is into photography on a real camera....not a phone....would probably learn quick how to get the most out of our crappy phone cameras with fv-5.

Or a similar app....that's just the one I read about and bought.