[Q] Conflicting information on T-Mobile X on AT&T

Tip us?

Jimbogiant
Old
(Last edited by Jimbogiant; 4th December 2013 at 11:38 PM.) Reason: added quote
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shusain93 View Post
Did you account not already have an LTE device on it? I plan on switching my sim from an already LTE device.
I activated a brand new account with the Moto X, so I didn't already have an LTE device on it like you do. I bet yours will work right out of the gate. I wasn't trying to scare you or imply that your phone wasn't going to work, but I wanted to let you know of the possibility of that happening and what to do if it did happen. Having been in the same situation you will be in (using AT&T on a T-Mobile Moto X), I just wanted you to have all the info.

I'm definitely not the only one to have run into a similar issue: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=169 . This was a reply from someone helping me out w/ the LTE issue when I first got the phone in September:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDemos View Post
Mine works on AT&T LTE out of the box. You might have to try several things: call CS and make sure your IMEI is in the system. This should update and provision your account for LTE hopefully, though sometimes they don't recognize non-AT&T phones. Make sure to shut off your phone, go outside where it's clear and reboot after they do that as it needs to a very clear signal to latch onto the tower for the first time for LTE. If that doesn't work, you need to call CS and make sure you get Tech Support and basically geek out to one of them (about how you know what bands it has and what an APN is and double check you've got the correct one, etc) as they'll have to do all sorts of things to possibly get it to work. I finally had to use my old AT&T LTE phone IMEI and keep that on the account to keep it correctly provisioned. Weird, but just my experience.

It does work though on AT&T LTE.

shusain93
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you everyone! Looks like I'm getting a T-Mobile X.

redeyss
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I got one today, more worried about it not connecting to my microcell. 32 gb Super stoked!!!

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app

chirpa12
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Are most of you planning on getting a new nano sim or are you just going to cut yours down from a larger size?

I have an S4 right now which has a micro-sim. So I was thinking of cutting it down to a nano sim. Anyone done this?

superm1
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I'm a little confused now on this IMEI stuff. I've got a GS3 (i747) on AT&T right now w/ LTE. I've purchased a XT1053 (T-Mobile variant of moto x).

When it comes next week and I go in to get a nano sim card will they give me a hard time because they'll want to register the IMEI of the Moto X and it won't be in their DB?

I also want to sell my i747 on swappa, but swappa you're supposed to unregister any devices from your account first right? So don't I need to remove the IMEI of my i747 from my account and have the Moto X IMEI registered then?

Jimbogiant
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
I'm a little confused now on this IMEI stuff. I've got a GS3 (i747) on AT&T right now w/ LTE. I've purchased a XT1053 (T-Mobile variant of moto x).

When it comes next week and I go in to get a nano sim card will they give me a hard time because they'll want to register the IMEI of the Moto X and it won't be in their DB?

I also want to sell my i747 on swappa, but swappa you're supposed to unregister any devices from your account first right? So don't I need to remove the IMEI of my i747 from my account and have the Moto X IMEI registered then?
From the sounds of it, my information from earlier in the thread may be outdated. I had the IMEI issues back in September, but from what I can gather now (and based on my experience with the Nexus 5), I think AT&T's IMEI database has been updated to automatically provision new unlocked phones to LTE.

I would just take your Moto X into an AT&T store when you get it and try it with its own IMEI -- if LTE doesn't work, just ask one of the reps if they have a placeholder LTE-enabled IMEI they could punch in instead, this is what they did for me back in September.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpa12 View Post
Are most of you planning on getting a new nano sim or are you just going to cut yours down from a larger size?

I have an S4 right now which has a micro-sim. So I was thinking of cutting it down to a nano sim. Anyone done this?
I've cut down a micro SIM to a nano SIM with no problems. AT&T will give you a nano SIM for free if you walk into a store and ask for one though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbogiant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

notmilk
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Great info guys. I'm planning to get the T-Mobile Moto X myself to use on AT&T, do I need to unlock the phone? and how do you do that?

Russell Sprouts
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The T-Mo version is not Sim locked, so you'll be fine. Sounds like you'll need to talk to AT&T to get LTE access, though.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

notmilk
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Sprouts View Post
The T-Mo version is not Sim locked, so you'll be fine. Sounds like you'll need to talk to AT&T to get LTE access, though.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I already have a Galaxy S3 with LTE enabled, all I need to do is to cut the sim card right? to have LTE on T-Mobile Moto X

Russell Sprouts
Old
(Last edited by Russell Sprouts; 21st December 2013 at 02:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
I'm not sure how that works... Is it really as simple as swapping the Sim card? I just got a T-Mo Moto X to replace the AT&T version I've been using on T-Mo prepaid and I thought I'd at least have to register the new IMEI before I could use it.

EDIT: Well I just successfully swapped my sim into a new T-Mo Moto X and it connected right away to LTE. So that answers that. No need to call or otherwise notify T-Mo. The above discussion suggests it may be more complicated on AT&T, though.

Tags
att, moto x, tmobile