5,606,588 Members 35,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Confused by Moto X versions

Tip us?
 
Anderson2
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 597
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default Confused by Moto X versions

I'm looking to get a non contract moto X but am confused by all the versions. For instance, Republic sells it for $299.

https://republicwireless.com/phones/moto-x

Is that the same moto X sold for $349 on cyber Wednesday and Saturday at

http://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-...-all-sale.html

If different, what's the difference?

(**I need to be able to root the phone).

Thanks
 
finalarcadia
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 57
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson2 View Post
I'm looking to get a non contract moto X but am confused by all the versions. For instance, Republic sells it for $299.

https://republicwireless.com/phones/moto-x

Is that the same moto X sold for $349 on cyber Wednesday and Saturday at

http://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-...-all-sale.html

If different, what's the difference?

(**I need to be able to root the phone).

Thanks
Republic wireless phone only works with republic wireless.
Start with your carrier then go from there. If GSM and you NEED root i suggest t-mobile or dev edition so u can unlock bootloader and always guarantee root.
 
aooga
Old
#3  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 677
Posts: 2,306
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
What carrier are you on? As the other guy said, if you have a GSM carrier (AT&T, tmobile, other mvno's of those carriers), then go with the tmobile version. You CAN unlock the bootloader and root it, and it comes sim unlocked so you can use it on att/whatever other gsm carrier you want. If you have verizon, then get the CDMA dev edition.
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
netsyd
Old
#4  
netsyd's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 200
Posts: 467
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
then go with the tmobile version. You CAN unlock the bootloader and root it, and it comes sim unlocked so you can use it on att/whatever other gsm carrier you want. .
Sorry for jacking the thread... but does the T-mo version work on AT&T LTE?

Current Devices:
Galaxy S4 Mini - SGH-i257m on AT&T LTE
Nexus 5 32 GB Running Kangakat

First Smartphone:
HTC Wizard
 
aooga
Old
#5  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 677
Posts: 2,306
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsyd View Post
Sorry for jacking the thread... but does the T-mo version work on AT&T LTE?
yes
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Anderson2
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Posts: 597
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
What carrier are you on? As the other guy said, if you have a GSM carrier (AT&T, tmobile, other mvno's of those carriers), then go with the tmobile version. You CAN unlock the bootloader and root it, and it comes sim unlocked so you can use it on att/whatever other gsm carrier you want. If you have verizon, then get the CDMA dev edition.
I want it as a non contract phone. Currently I'm on straighttalk and they have a system where you buy a sim from them. But I may go elsewhere. I'm debating between a moto X or a nexus 5.
 
aooga
Old
#7  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 677
Posts: 2,306
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson2 View Post
I want it as a non contract phone. Currently I'm on straighttalk and they have a system where you buy a sim from them. But I may go elsewhere. I'm debating between a moto X or a nexus 5.
Then get a tmobile version. Sim and bootloader unlocked, so you can use it on straigttalk or att or any of those other mvno's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
savagedp
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 98
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
Then get a tmobile version. Sim and bootloader unlocked, so you can use it on straigttalk or att or any of those other mvno's.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm repeating questions, but I'm not from the US.
So I'm not too familiar with mobile phones being locked and sim locked and things like these.

My question is, I'm thinking of bringing a Moto X into Singapore for my daily use.
Just wondering, according to all the above comments, I should bring in a T-Mobile version instead since sim and bootloader is not locked to any carrier?

And I got one more question
All these different carrier version, the radios are the same? or do they all differ slightly? I'm asking because in Singapore, I think the radios here are a little different from the US
 
aooga
Old
#9  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 677
Posts: 2,306
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagedp View Post
Sorry if it sounds like I'm repeating questions, but I'm not from the US.
So I'm not too familiar with mobile phones being locked and sim locked and things like these.

My question is, I'm thinking of bringing a Moto X into Singapore for my daily use.
Just wondering, according to all the above comments, I should bring in a T-Mobile version instead since sim and bootloader is not locked to any carrier?

And I got one more question
All these different carrier version, the radios are the same? or do they all differ slightly? I'm asking because in Singapore, I think the radios here are a little different from the US
The radios all differ slightly. And yes, you should get the tmobile one since it's sim unlocked. I don't know the bands of your carrier, so you might have to look it up and compare it with the US bands.
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
savagedp
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 98
Join Date: Sep 2008
Ok just checked. Seems like only 3G will work in Singapore. LTE here is band 3 and 7. whereas T-mobile seems to be just on band 4.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes