5,606,530 Members 33,286 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Confused about unlocking of bootloader

Tip us?

RenSoAbrupt
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Yes, seems my autocorrect got the best of me.

Sent from my Moto X

Feldroid
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I plan on buying a Verizon moto x NON developer edition. Is the boot loader still unlockable, from xda resources?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

imnuts
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2938

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldroid View Post
I plan on buying a Verizon moto x NON developer edition. Is the boot loader still unlockable, from xda resources?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The non-developer Moto X on VZW has never been unlockable.

Sent from my Moto X
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this
The Following User Says Thank You to imnuts For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dream Weaver
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenSoAbrupt View Post
Picture of it with 4.4.2.

Sent from my Moto X
I reinstalled mine so no can do, it might not have been 4.4.2 exactly but I know it was at least 4.4 for sure.

RenSoAbrupt
Old
Thanks Meter 27
More than likely 4.4, we are all awaiting the arrival of 4.4.2 and a better camera though.

Sent from my Moto X

gerodive
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
The non-developer Moto X on VZW has never been unlockable.

Sent from my Moto X
Is that expected to change any time soon? I know in the past the dev community has had these things hacked apart like 24 hours after launch. We're now months into the launch of the Moto X and we only recently even got root. So I guess my question is twofold:

1. Is there a reason that the Moto X has proven so darned hard to unlock?

2. What are the limitations of having a locked (but rooted) device as far as custom ROMs, kernels, bootloaders, recoveries, etc.? Coming from a Galaxy Nexus that I was able to fully unlock and root on day one, I have no idea what's accessible via rooting vs. via unlocking. It all just kind of felt the same to me.

N00b questions I know, but I'd really like to know what I can and can't do with this VZW Moto X of mine.

markwebb
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerodive View Post
Is that expected to change any time soon? I know in the past the dev community has had these things hacked apart like 24 hours after launch. We're now months into the launch of the Moto X and we only recently even got root. So I guess my question is twofold:

1. Is there a reason that the Moto X has proven so darned hard to unlock?

2. What are the limitations of having a locked (but rooted) device as far as custom ROMs, kernels, bootloaders, recoveries, etc.? Coming from a Galaxy Nexus that I was able to fully unlock and root on day one, I have no idea what's accessible via rooting vs. via unlocking. It all just kind of felt the same to me.

N00b questions I know, but I'd really like to know what I can and can't do with this VZW Moto X of mine.
All I can say is the Bionic and Galaxy S4 both on VZW have not been unlocked and never will be.
Either buy the overpriced Dev edition or the unlockable gsm version... when it is discounted again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
OG Droid >>> Droid Bionic >>> Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition/Nexus 5/MOTO X
Samsung Chromebook
Nexus 7 2013
Chromecast