Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 52,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unknown App Flashing When Toggling Wifi

Tip us?

fury683
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Unknown App Flashing When Toggling Wifi

Last night I was at home and noticed my wifi wasn't on, so I used the quick settings in the shade to toggle it. After a few seconds, wifi connected, and some unknown app took focus and closed repeatedly. After a few moments, it stopped and all was well.

I thought it was strange, so I turned wifi back off and the same thing happened. I rebooted, tried again, and got the same result. I was trying to think of a way to see what was happening, so I tried using the Screen Record function in Gravity Box, which didn't help much, because it happens so fast, and no info is displayed, just a black window that goes away quickly.

I then turned on the CPU usage in Developer Options to see if anything consistently came to the top when toggling. I saw a few apps each time Plume (Twitter), and Maildroid (email) were two of them. Both of these apps behave differently on wifi and 3G/4G (push vs. pull), so thought -maybe- it could be something with that. I uninstalled both of those, rebooted and tried again, getting the same result.

I recorded the screen when this was happening with the CPU usage displayed, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas? I don't really want to uninstall and reinstall EVERY app on my phone, so I was hoping someone may have seen this before or see something I'm missing when watching it happen.

Video: https://copy.com/8L6VTsqcdbUjVTz

Thanks for any input anyone can offer!
furyť™ - not helping the situation since 1987
Enable Moto X LED Charging Indicator (without Tasker)
Current: VZW MM Moto X, Woven Black, Black, Black; Nexus 7 (2013) | Previous: Droid Razr Maxx; Droid X; Nook Color (running CM)

sumonmolla
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Do you check virus from your phone ?
https://www.facebook.com/minhazulabedin.sumon

gchase23
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am also having this, seems to be due to 4.4.2 OTA, which I continue to delay as I am rooted.

Mine doens't only happen with wifi change, but also just randomly when using hangouts, keyboard stays out but hangouts min -> maxes quickly. I have tried freezing the update apps but it apparently didn't do anything as I was still asked to update earlier.

fury683
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57

DONATE TO ME
Only hangouts? I have that app disabled.in the app settings.
Current: VZW MM Moto X, Woven Black, Black, Black; Nexus 7 (2013) | Previous: Droid Razr Maxx; Droid X; Nook Color (running CM)

fury683
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57

DONATE TO ME
I can't say for sure that being on 4.4.2 fixed it, but I am on 4.4.2 now and it is not happening anymore.

I unlocked my bootloader and did the 4.4.2 SBF, unlocked and rooted. I installed probably 99% of the same apps (only ditched 1-2 that I never used anymore) and I am not having the flashing issue anymore.

Hard to tell for certain if the pending OTA was the cause, but it may have been.