Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,250 Members 41,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Damage To My Phone?

Tip us?

Spirotot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Damage To My Phone?

Good morning,

So, my Moto X woke me up this morning by vibrating every few seconds on my nightstand. Evidently, the device was stuck in a bootloop, where it'd just get to the charging screen, and then reboot.

Turns out the outlet that the powerstrip that my phone was plugged into started "flickering" at some point last night... it'll give power for a quick second, then stop, and flip between those two states very rapidly.

Two questions... because I don't know much about batteries.
1. Do you think that caused any damage to my phone's battery? I've plugged it into a different outlet, now... and it appears to be charging fine.

2. Any idea what causes a power outlet to just start "flickering" like that? (I have verified that it's not the power strip's fault, nor the Motorola phone charger's fault).

Thanks so much.

xpsychox
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirotot View Post
Good morning,

So, my Moto X woke me up this morning by vibrating every few seconds on my nightstand. Evidently, the device was stuck in a bootloop, where it'd just get to the charging screen, and then reboot.

Turns out the outlet that the powerstrip that my phone was plugged into started "flickering" at some point last night... it'll give power for a quick second, then stop, and flip between those two states very rapidly.

Two questions... because I don't know much about batteries.
1. Do you think that caused any damage to my phone's battery? I've plugged it into a different outlet, now... and it appears to be charging fine.

2. Any idea what causes a power outlet to just start "flickering" like that? (I have verified that it's not the power strip's fault, nor the Motorola phone charger's fault).

Thanks so much.
Is it a surge protector or just a standard power strip..2ndly how old is it? And r u using the USB charger it came with or older one?

Slapped my Moto

Coop9
Old
Thanks Meter 71
If it's happening in other outlets it could be an issue with the main line to the location.

If it is only happening at that one outlet, you potentially have a fire hazard. It could be a short, or it could just be that outlet doesn't allow for a plug to consistently connect. Either way, I'd recommend replacing the outlet immediately. Until that's done flip the breaker or remove the fuse associated with the outlet. While replacing an outlet is something you can do yourself, this probably isn't the place for a tutorial. If even after replacing the outlet, you still have issues, get an electrician involved.

I'd be surprised if it caused damage to your battery. These batteries have circuitry to prevent that.