Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Dangers of Rooting?

OP titanshadow

12th January 2014, 05:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lexington, KY
Thanks Meter: 94

634 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm about to get a Moto X on Tuesday. I wondered if there are any dangers of rooting the device? I am not interested (at least not right now) in running a custom ROM on it since it runs so close to AOSP anyway. But I would like to be able to use Titanium Backup with it and a few other things that require root.

I've read there are ways to do it, just not sure if they are safe or not.
12th January 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 132

708 posts
As long as you can read and follow directions, there isn't anything to worry about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nhizzat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2014, 09:17 PM   |  #3  
Flag Fort Myers,FL
Thanks Meter: 238

571 posts
More
Rooting your device void warranty and can brick your device if you don't follow the directions correctly or if you play with something you don't understand. But if you follow directions then you will be fine with nothing to worry about.

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
13th January 2014, 02:50 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 5

49 posts
I was in the same boat, wanting to use root only for TBU, Tasker, and the occasional wifi tether.

Don't be in a rush, the phone works pretty good in stock form. When you're ready, read the forums, follow directions, and you'll be fine. There are a couple threads devoted to the topic, I used Hashcode's TWRP method for unlocked bootloaders without problem (after unlocking which was a little bit of a PITA).

I'm no stranger to rooting and flashing roms. I'll admit to being intimidated a little by the Moto X forum posts since it seems that our phone is a little trickier than what I'm familiar with.

FWIW, battery life on this phone is awesome compared to my Gnex and it seemed to get even better when unlocked and rooted. Also, Xposed is awesome.

Good luck!
13th January 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 36

134 posts
The real danger of rooting (other than voiding warranty, etc.) is potential user stupidity.
Root access still requires the user's permission. Whenever root access is requested by an app you will be prompted to grant access. If you get reputable apps from the play store this usually won't be an issue. If you are downloading APKs from less trustworthy sources all bets are off.

Malware often runs without root, and it's usually better this way because requesting root access without an obvious need is a big warning sign.
13th January 2014, 10:44 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 55

124 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian Marshall

The real danger of rooting (other than voiding warranty, etc.) is potential user stupidity.
Root access still requires the user's permission. Whenever root access is requested by an app you will be prompted to grant access. If you get reputable apps from the play store this usually won't be an issue. If you are downloading APKs from less trustworthy sources all bets are off.

Malware often runs without root, and it's usually better this way because requesting root access without an obvious need is a big warning sign.

I completely agree with this. Personally, I have rooted all of my previous phones (Droid 2, HTC Rezound) but have not done so for this one. With the speed in which updates are released, and the fact that the phone is basically stock Android, I haven't felt the need to root it.

Also, you might find this post by me interesting: How to backup and restore app data without Root. The only real root feature I typically used was for backing up, but Helium + ADB can do all of this for you.
13th January 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lexington, KY

634 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogzOfWar

I completely agree with this. Personally, I have rooted all of my previous phones (Droid 2, HTC Rezound) but have not done so for this one. With the speed in which updates are released, and the fact that the phone is basically stock Android, I haven't felt the need to root it.

Also, you might find this post by me interesting: How to backup and restore app data without Root. The only real root feature I typically used was for backing up, but Helium + ADB can do all of this for you.

Yeah, I run LookOut for one but for another I never grant root access unless I specifically want it to DO something that requires it.
14th January 2014, 12:22 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 36

134 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogzOfWar

the phone is basically stock Android, I haven't felt the need to root it.

Agreed. Occasionally I'll think to my self that I'll get around to rooting it, but honestly I don't feel like I need to.
I kinda want to try out xposed, but there's almost zero motivation otherwise.
14th January 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lexington, KY

634 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread