Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more
Post Reply

[Q] Dev edition ROM

1st September 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Hi again,
Is it possible install a Dev Edition ROM on a "common" Moto X?

Thanks!
1st September 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #2  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,684
 
1,966 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrojas

Hi again,
Is it possible install a Dev Edition ROM on a "common" Moto X?

Thanks!

The Dev edition Roms aren't one byte different from the regular ones.

The vzw Dev edition uses the regular xt1060 ROM.
The GSM Dev edition use the T-Mobile xt1053 ROM.

What are you trying to accomplish?!?
1st September 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 15
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

The Dev edition Roms aren't one byte different from the regular ones.

The vzw Dev edition uses the regular xt1060 ROM.
The GSM Dev edition use the T-Mobile xt1053 ROM.

What are you trying to accomplish?!?

I just wanna "transform " my regular Moto X to Moto X Dev Edition. So Is it possible?

My Moto X is a XT1058.

Thanks the replys
1st September 2014, 10:17 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
47 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrojas

I just wanna "transform " my regular Moto X to Moto X Dev Edition. So Is it possible?

My Moto X is a XT1058.

Thanks the replys

There is no hardware or software difference besides the unlockable bootloader. When the bootloader exploit gets released, unlock your device, and it will be nearly the same. (I only say nearly because I feel like i'm forgetting something.
1st September 2014, 10:17 PM   |  #5  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,684
 
1,966 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrojas

I just wanna "transform " my regular Moto X to Moto X Dev Edition. So Is it possible?

My Moto X is a XT1058.

Thanks the replys

That really doesn't make sense....but no. You can't.

There are SEVERAL XT1058s. Which do you have? The AT&T Variant, or a different one?

If you do NOT have the AT&T variant, you can already unlock the bootloader which basically "transforms" it into a DEV edition without doing anything else.

Any phone with an unlocked bootloader *IS* an un-official "DEV" edition. There is nothing "special" about the Dev editions except for their unlockable bootloaders, or rather the fact that they retain their warranty after being unlocked.

I'm not understanding what you intend to gain?

ALL Moto X's have unlockable bootloaders *EXCEPT* for the Verizon, AT&T, and Republic Wireless variants.

The only thing "special" about the dev editions is that they keep their warranty intact after unlocking the bootloader. But if it isn't a device SOLD as a DEV edition, you will void its warranty anyways.

And if you happen to have the AT&T, Verizon, or Republic Wireless variant, see the thread in General titled "China Middleman Back" - that guy sells codes that unlock the bootloader on the locked variants. If you pay him and get a code, your phone will be a non-official DEV edition. If you DON'T have AT&T, Verizon, or Republic Wireless variant, you can *already* unlock it *FREE* from Moto's official unlock website.
2nd September 2014, 01:56 AM   |  #6  
Topsnake's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 488
 
929 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

That really doesn't make sense....but no. You can't.

There are SEVERAL XT1058s. Which do you have? The AT&T Variant, or a different one?

If you do NOT have the AT&T variant, you can already unlock the bootloader which basically "transforms" it into a DEV edition without doing anything else.

Any phone with an unlocked bootloader *IS* an un-official "DEV" edition. There is nothing "special" about the Dev editions except for their unlockable bootloaders, or rather the fact that they retain their warranty after being unlocked.

I'm not understanding what you intend to gain?

ALL Moto X's have unlockable bootloaders *EXCEPT* for the Verizon, AT&T, and Republic Wireless variants.

The only thing "special" about the dev editions is that they keep their warranty intact after unlocking the bootloader. But if it isn't a device SOLD as a DEV edition, you will void its warranty anyways.

And if you happen to have the AT&T, Verizon, or Republic Wireless variant, see the thread in General titled "China Middleman Back" - that guy sells codes that unlock the bootloader on the locked variants. If you pay him and get a code, your phone will be a non-official DEV edition. If you DON'T have AT&T, Verizon, or Republic Wireless variant, you can *already* unlock it *FREE* from Moto's official unlock website.

@samwathegreat can i flash a Galaxy Note 3 rom? I want to transform my maxx to a note 3. I really like the bigger screen.

Wut?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topsnake For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto X Q&A by ThreadRank