Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,957 Members 53,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Error flashing stock recovery

Tip us?

theascended
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default [Q] Error flashing stock recovery

I'm on a locked, 4.4, non-DE. Rooted using SlapMyMoto .5c and have used MotoWpNoMo. Everything is fine, but I'd like to have the stock recovery back (since SlapMyMoto modified it).

I can flash the boot partition with the boot.img from the SBF, without issue. However, the recovery.img doesn't seem to work.

Code:
C:\Users\user\Desktop\adb>mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [  0.960s]
writing 'recovery'...
Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 2.111s
On the phone, I see the error:
Quote:
Failed to hab check for recovery: 0x56
preflash validation failed for recovery
Is there some way around this or do I need to RSD Lite back to 4.2.2, root again and restore?

theascended
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Not even a sarcastic reply.

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by theascended View Post
Not even a sarcastic reply.
OK
Don't you know that just like pwnmymoto, slapmymoto disables recovery in order to disable write protection?
How did I do?
I was not sure of the answer & guessed!
Pretty that is the answer. Pwnmymoto did that to me anyway.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.
The Following User Says Thank You to aviwdoowks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theascended
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Ha. Not quite sarcastic enough... needs more cow bell.

They don't actually disable recovery. They modify the recovery image so that instead of booting into recovery, WP is simply disabled and the phone boots as normal. My problem is that I can't seem to restore the stock recovery using the tools and images provided through Motorola's website. This also has me concerned that using RSDLite may not even work since RSDLite basically just scripts the installation of the images/partitions in a certain order.

I'm surprised I'm the only person who has hit this (and wants to fix it) given how many people used pwnmymoto, rockmymoto and any version of slapmymoto before the 1.0.

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 492
Flashing the (cam) 4 XML did work for me yet the root solution from there was too much for my old Mac. I wish I had tried the moto x tool kit aio utility.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

theascended
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Also... turns out I may have been wrong about the recovery image being modified... looks like it was the partition table that was modified.

I sucked it up and decided to risk losing my data (since I didn't know what the ramifications to flashing the partition data would be). Flashing gpt.bin seems to have fixed the issue and allowed me to flash the stock recovery. For anyone who isn't familiar with what it is you need to flash and ends up in this thread:

mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin

I didn't lose any data and have noticed no discernible loss in functionality (root or write protect).

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 771
not sure what you were trying to do.. but when I see hab check messages when trying to flash, it usually means you've got some miss-matched files/partitions on your phone.

the GPT.BIN has a little to do with security, etc.

Hopefully you are not in a state where you still have miss-matched files, because if you do, and you take an OTA, you could brick.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

theascended
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Indeed, I'm minorly concerned about that too.

I was just trying to restore the original recovery image functionality. No particular reason right now, just wanted to. Like I said before, I rooted using slapmymoto .5C and am on the 4.4 OTA. The files I used to flash (gpt, boot and recovery) were from the 4.4 SBF (VZW_XT1060_4.4-13.11.1Q2.X-69-3_CFC_1FF.xml.zip). I think I'm covered here, but I'm also not taking the current OTA until its rooted or I can unlock, neither of which seems likely to happen anytime soon.