Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,159 Members 45,548 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Frequent loss of cell signal - do I have a defective Moto X?

Tip us?

johninor
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Frequent loss of cell signal - do I have a defective Moto X?

I've got the Moto X GSM developers edition with Kitkat 4.4 unlocked and rooted. I am on H2O wireless (AT&T MVNO). I've had this setup for about a month.

At least several times a day, I'll hear a quick beep in my bluetooth headset alerting me to the fact that I have no mobile signal. I look at the phone and I have zero bars for maybe 30 seconds and then it goes back to (usually) 4 bars. This happens at home, where I always seem to have 4 bars except for these incidents, so it is not like I am in a marginal signal area and it is going between 1 and 0 bars. It also happens when driving around Portland OR on the major freeways. It doesn't happen in the same spots, so I don't think I am driving through a weak signal area. If I'm driving around it happens more often than when I am at home - maybe 10 or more times on a two hour trip.

At least four times I have been driving and the phone kept dropping signal and getting it back maybe 8 or 10 times until it finally lost the signal for good. I powered off and on and then the signal was fine. Once I left the phone on after the signal had dropped out completely until I stopped driving and was in an area that I know that I have had good signal strength before. I left the phone on for at least 10 minutes and the signal would not come back until I power cycled the phone.

Searching here and with google, I couldn't find reports of signal problems like this with the Moto X. So I'm guessing that this isn't some problem endemic to the Moto X. I can't believe that this is normal behavior for a phone on the AT&T network (I just ported from Page Plus on Verizon towers when I got the Moto X and I never got signal dropouts). Could there be something faulty in my phone? Should I try to get a warranty exchange from Motorola? Or is there anything else I can do to debug/fix the problem? Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to johninor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SymbioticGenius
Old
Thanks Meter 109
There's a reflash toolkit around here. Use it. It fixed a similar issue I was having

MotoX Developer Edition

mawells787
Old
(Last edited by mawells787; 26th January 2014 at 10:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 28
When you say you ported from page plus, do you mean you are using a verizon moto x on H2O?

If so that could be part of your problem. However, i was having an issue where my Verizon moto x wouldn't connect to 3G on Verizon. It would go from LTE to 1x. I factory reset and it didn't fix it.

Ultimately before I returned it to moto I tried a sbf to 4.2.2 and then accept the ota for 4.4. and that fixed my problems.

All the files for flashing back to 4.2.2 are in the Dev section. Just be sure to backup anything that is important to you. All data will be deleted.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

johninor
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawells787 View Post
When you say you ported from page plus, do you mean you are using a verizon moto x on H2O?

If so that could be part of your problem. However, i was having an issue where my Verizon moto x wouldn't connect to 3G on Verizon. It would go from LTE to 1x. I factory reset and it didn't fix it.

Ultimately before I returned it to moto I tried a sbf to 4.2.2 and then accept the ota for 4.4. and that fixed my problems.

All the files for flashing back to 4.2.2 are in the Dev section. Just be sure to backup anything that is important to you. All data will be deleted.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
No, I don't have the Verizon Moto X, as I said, I have a GSM developers edition Moto X. I was just mentioning Page Plus as my previous experience with never seeing any dropped service. I don't have any previous experience with AT&T towers, so I don't know what might be normal for them. I know coverage is not as good as Verizon in my area, but I can't believe what I am seeing is normal.

I think you are talking about data service, am I right? I am not talking about data, I am talking about problems with voice/text service. I could try going back to 4.2.2 and then taking the OTA, but that is basically the path I took to get where I am now, so I'm not too hopeful that it would change anything.

Carbon Trooper
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Same problem here /:

Just wanted to add some info here, experiencing the same issue unfortunately.

GSM Unlocked Moto X 16GB, running off MVNO Straight Talk AT&T LTE.

I'll have several instances where I won't be able to send texts. Every time it bounces back with a "Failure to send SMS" error, and I'll notice that the signal strength will fluctuate rapidly from 0-3 bars. Data works fine, but texts don't send

Had it happen at school, AT&T service is great there. Gonna try it with my Optimus G tomorrow and report back to confirm if it's a device issue.
I've had a sh*t ton of phones.

Carbon Trooper
Old
Thanks Meter 1
UPDATE: Moto X issue. Going to call them for a moto maker replacement.

Ckryt
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Trooper View Post
UPDATE: Moto X issue. Going to call them for a moto maker replacement.
What issue did they say it was? Had this happen twice randomly in 2 weeks, but no sure if it's the phone or the network - otherwise signal has been great.

Carbon Trooper
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckryt View Post
What issue did they say it was? Had this happen twice randomly in 2 weeks, but no sure if it's the phone or the network - otherwise signal has been great.
They didn't give me any details I just got to order a new one for free, and they'll take a look at the old Moto X when they get it. Hopefully the new one doesn't do this crazy stuff.

If any issues come up, i'll just return it. Don't see a bright future for Motorola anyways...

drago10029
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninor View Post
I've got the Moto X GSM developers edition with Kitkat 4.4 unlocked and rooted. I am on H2O wireless (AT&T MVNO). I've had this setup for about a month.

At least several times a day, I'll hear a quick beep in my bluetooth headset alerting me to the fact that I have no mobile signal. I look at the phone and I have zero bars for maybe 30 seconds and then it goes back to (usually) 4 bars. This happens at home, where I always seem to have 4 bars except for these incidents, so it is not like I am in a marginal signal area and it is going between 1 and 0 bars. It also happens when driving around Portland OR on the major freeways. It doesn't happen in the same spots, so I don't think I am driving through a weak signal area. If I'm driving around it happens more often than when I am at home - maybe 10 or more times on a two hour trip.

At least four times I have been driving and the phone kept dropping signal and getting it back maybe 8 or 10 times until it finally lost the signal for good. I powered off and on and then the signal was fine. Once I left the phone on after the signal had dropped out completely until I stopped driving and was in an area that I know that I have had good signal strength before. I left the phone on for at least 10 minutes and the signal would not come back until I power cycled the phone.

Searching here and with google, I couldn't find reports of signal problems like this with the Moto X. So I'm guessing that this isn't some problem endemic to the Moto X. I can't believe that this is normal behavior for a phone on the AT&T network (I just ported from Page Plus on Verizon towers when I got the Moto X and I never got signal dropouts). Could there be something faulty in my phone? Should I try to get a warranty exchange from Motorola? Or is there anything else I can do to debug/fix the problem? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Trooper View Post
Just wanted to add some info here, experiencing the same issue unfortunately.

GSM Unlocked Moto X 16GB, running off MVNO Straight Talk AT&T LTE.

I'll have several instances where I won't be able to send texts. Every time it bounces back with a "Failure to send SMS" error, and I'll notice that the signal strength will fluctuate rapidly from 0-3 bars. Data works fine, but texts don't send

Had it happen at school, AT&T service is great there. Gonna try it with my Optimus G tomorrow and report back to confirm if it's a device issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckryt View Post
Just mentioning I have the XT 1053 and have replaced it 2 times. All had the issue mentioned. Some worse than others. I never rooted or done anything to my phone I'm currently testing 4.2.2 since 4.4 and 4.4.2 have been giving me the problem. I'll update if I notice anything.

Also a whole thread here of people are having the same issue:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...oto-x-but.html

Someone should reach out to the Motorola engineers on G+ they usually respond pretty fast!
Samsung Galaxy S III i747 in creamy Pebble Blue
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye and Good ridden!

johninor
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by drago10029 View Post
Just mentioning I have the XT 1053 and have replaced it 2 times. All had the issue mentioned. Some worse than others. I never rooted or done anything to my phone I'm currently testing 4.2.2 since 4.4 and 4.4.2 have been giving me the problem. I'll update if I notice anything.

Also a whole thread here of people are having the same issue:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...oto-x-but.html

Someone should reach out to the Motorola engineers on G+ they usually respond pretty fast!
Thanks for the link - I didn't find that thread when I was searching around to see if other people were having the problem.

I am still having the problem. How often it happens each day varies a lot. Some days it hardly happens at all and others it will happen dozens of times. I just installed 4.4.2 a few days ago, so it hasn't been long enough to tell if it has improved with the update. It has happened only a few times since I updated.