Ask a question

No registration required

Phone [Q] Moto X forgot it was rooted

OP akhenax

25th February 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

39 posts
I have rooted my phone successfully, and in the beginning apps that required root access would check for root, and request su access, but now that doesn't happen.

1. Anyone know what happened, and how do I get applications to request root access again?
2. How do I update the SuperSU binary, when it asks?

Rooted using SlapMyMoto, on Android 4.4 Stock.
Last edited by akhenax; 25th February 2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: More information
25th February 2014, 04:11 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 14

60 posts
Make sure you have the latest supersu from the play store but when it asks you to update the SU binary, it should show two options, normal and twrp, since i'm assuming you're locked (plus it's just easier), choose normal. Also, i'm not sure what the process is, but you might need to re-run whatever it is that you use to root (i'm unlocked so i'm not familiar with the process) because it sounds like you don't have system mounted as rw. If this is the result of an OTA, because people are losing rw from taking the verizon OTA, you might be out of luck until a new method is found.

-edit- another fix might be to re flash supersu if you have safestrap installed, and just clarification, it will not ask for root for the same app twice unless you tell it to ask again next prompt.
25th February 2014, 04:52 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StATicxTW0T

Make sure you have the latest supersu from the play store but when it asks you to update the SU binary, it should show two options, normal and twrp, since i'm assuming you're locked (plus it's just easier), choose normal. Also, i'm not sure what the process is, but you might need to re-run whatever it is that you use to root (i'm unlocked so i'm not familiar with the process) because it sounds like you don't have system mounted as rw. If this is the result of an OTA, because people are losing rw from taking the verizon OTA, you might be out of luck until a new method is found.

-edit- another fix might be to re flash supersu if you have safestrap installed, and just clarification, it will not ask for root for the same app twice unless you tell it to ask again next prompt.

Thanks for the reply. I took the OTA to 4.4 from 4.2, and I was still rooted. Something happened with SuperSU, and now the phone is behaving as if it is not rooted, or it's half rooted (if that makes sense).

MyBackupPro would always ask for root access, and then SuperSU would grant it automatically. Now this doesn't happen. Also, I'm trying to use Helium backup as well, and when it tries to ask for root access, it fails. Any app that usually requests root access doesn't even ask.

Thanks.
25th February 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 14

60 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhenax

Thanks.

I wouldn't take my word for it, but i remember reading about a downgrade then upgrade process where you would downgrade to 4.2.2 post cam then root then upgrade again, it might help, no guarantee's though.
25th February 2014, 06:04 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StATicxTW0T

I wouldn't take my word for it, but i remember reading about a downgrade then upgrade process where you would downgrade to 4.2.2 post cam then root then upgrade again, it might help, no guarantee's though.

I always thank replies whether it helps or not.

I am trying to retrace the steps I did to root, but not the entire process. Hope to save time from having to redo everything again.
25th February 2014, 07:12 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

39 posts
I fixed it.

I did the following steps (not sure if this did anything but...):

uninstall SuperSU

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot reboot

adb push su /data/local/tmp/su
adb push install.sh /data/local/tmp/install.sh
adb push rec.sh /data/local/tmp/rec.sh
adb push install-recovery.sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
adb push setup.sh /data/local/tmp/setup.sh
adb reboot

adb shell

echo "/data/local/tmp/rec.sh" > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper
<-- THIS FAILS, as expected. It worked when I first rooted the device, but doesn't work any longer, but this is OK.
it returns: /system/bin/sh: can't create /sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission denied
Once again, this is OK.

Install SuperSU

DO NOT OPEN IT. JUST INSTALL IT.

Apps now request root permission.

adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect
returns a value of:1 which means my bootloader is locked write protection is enabled, but I still have proper root access.

Hope this helps the next guy.
Last edited by akhenax; 3rd March 2014 at 07:56 PM.
25th February 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 52

106 posts
Quote:

adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect
returns a value of:1 which means my bootloader is locked, but I still have proper root access.

This actually means that write protection is enabled.
26th February 2014, 03:11 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 134

716 posts
Did you try to reboot into"recovery" to set write protection off?
3rd March 2014, 06:42 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat

Did you try to reboot into"recovery" to set write protection off?

I don't think I'm versed enough in this to answer this question accurately, for the very reason you quoted "recovery". How would you accomplish such a feat, step by step?
3rd March 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #10  
Flag Marion
Thanks Meter: 15

245 posts
More
Quote:

I don't think I'm versed enough in this to answer this question accurately, for the very reason you quoted "recovery". How would you accomplish such a feat, step by step?

power down, hold volume down and power, youll get a black screen with blue letters. use volume down button to naviagte and power to select.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread