Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,018 Members 45,235 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

fake id exploit?

Tip us?

sokratz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default fake id exploit?

Maybe it's premature to ask but any thoughts on the recent exploit to gain root on moto x? I have an updated uscc ver I've been crying in my beer about not being able to root for tether mostly.

Advise holding off upgrading to 4.4.4 in the meantime?

Thanks

sokratz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Gah I'm sure I posted this in the wrong section accidentally. Must be blind to the delete button tonight too...

samwathegreat
Old
(Last edited by samwathegreat; 30th July 2014 at 07:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,576

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokratz View Post
Gah I'm sure I posted this in the wrong section accidentally. Must be blind to the delete button tonight too...
Worry not - I've requested that it be moved to Q&A...

Anyways YES, updating to 4.4.4 will guarantee that you will NEVER be able to root.

If you want details, see the TowelPieRoot thread (in apps/themes sub-forum). It is already out and confirmed working on 4.4.2 (and SOME 4.4.3 variants). It will allow you to tether.

I am a little confused by your title "fake id exploit"? EDIT: just read up on that exploit...wow! Anyways, that exploit does not appear to be capable of gaining root access on a device that doesn't already have the su binary installed. I could definitely be mistaken about that, but after my quick read-up on the details, it appears to only allow one app to masquerade as another. This would appear to mean that an app could only gain root access (once again), if the device is already rooted (su binary installed). It COULD, however, allow a malicious app to bypass a control app like SuperSU, by claiming to be another app you have already granted su access to.

Regardless, my previous statements still apply: see the TowelPieRoot thread if you are interested in rooting...

Good Luck
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Verttex
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokratz View Post
Maybe it's premature to ask but any thoughts on the recent exploit to gain root on moto x? I have an updated uscc ver I've been crying in my beer about not being able to root for tether mostly.

Advise holding off upgrading to 4.4.4 in the meantime?

Thanks
Most devices that have updated Google apps recently won't be able to use that exploit.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Do you have a Moto X and you want to root it? Use TowelPieRoot!

Previously Known as: Dier325

Verttex
Old
Thanks Meter 99
http://www.androidcentral.com/fake-i...curity-updated

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Do you have a Moto X and you want to root it? Use TowelPieRoot!

Previously Known as: Dier325