If you flashed the 4.4.2 partition table (gpt.bin) only and now can't flash anything

OP Cozume

22nd February 2014, 06:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 87

423 posts
More
is this a hard brick? Can you recover from this once the sbf firmware for 4.4.2 is released?
22nd February 2014, 06:27 AM   |  #2  
Langley, BC
Thanks Meter: 178

594 posts
Yes, once the full flash is released you should be able to recover.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2014, 06:58 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 482

584 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozume

is this a hard brick? Can you recover from this once the sbf firmware for 4.4.2 is released?

you should still be able to access stock recovery through the bootloader menu and reflash the update:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407573403
22nd February 2014, 07:03 AM   |  #4  

423 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q9Nap

you should still be able to access stock recovery through the bootloader menu and reflash the update:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407573403

Thanks, it wasn't me but it was another poster and he was not able to access stock recovery. He said he could get into fastboot mode, but didn't get the android with the red triangle, it just shows the moto boot logo and goes back into fastboot mode with this message :

Partition (recovery) Security Version Downgraded
Boot up failed

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2657262&page=2

Ther error message sounds to me like once you upgrade the partition table to 4.4.2, it won't let you into 4.4 recovery since it is a lower version?
22nd February 2014, 07:10 AM   |  #5  

584 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Thanks, it wasn't me but it was another poster and he was not able to access stock recovery. He said he could get into fastboot mode, but didn't get the android with the red triangle, it just shows the moto boot logo and goes back into fastboot mode with this message :

Partition (recovery) Security Version Downgraded
Boot up failed

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2657262&page=2

Ther error message sounds to me like once you upgrade the partition table to 4.4.2, it won't let you into 4.4 recovery since it is a lower version?

ah yeah, just read the thread, that kinda sucks. recovery version has never been an issue before iirc. well the fxz should be available pretty quickly; i'd be surprised if it isn't availalbe some time next week. i'd way rather wait for that than send in the phone and deal with tech support and refurbished devices.
this is also one of the reasons i never take ota; always wait for the fxz. then you can update just what you need: boot, system, and radio. i'm running 4.4 boot system and radio with every other partition still on 4.2.2. works fine and i always have the option to downgrade if i want to for whatever reason.
Last edited by Q9Nap; 22nd February 2014 at 07:13 AM.
22nd February 2014, 07:21 AM   |  #6  

423 posts
More
Quote:

ah yeah, just read the thread, that kinda sucks. recovery version has never been an issue before iirc.

yeah, seems like Motorola just keeps making these updates less and less hackable.

I went the CLNR route with my GNex for hardware problems and I eventually ended up with one that was significantly better than the one I sent in. But it took me 5 to get there. Lots of the AMOLED screens were blue or yellow tinted in the CLNRs.
22nd February 2014, 03:04 PM   |  #7  

584 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

yeah, seems like Motorola just keeps making these updates less and less hackable.

I went the CLNR route with my GNex for hardware problems and I eventually ended up with one that was significantly better than the one I sent in. But it took me 5 to get there. Lots of the AMOLED screens were blue or yellow tinted in the CLNRs.

what would be really helpful for those who are bricking is someone with fully stock rooted 4.4.2 doing a dd of the recovery partition. then bricked users could fastboot the recovery to their devices and reinstall the update.
22nd February 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 24

306 posts
Quote:

ah yeah, just read the thread, that kinda sucks. recovery version has never been an issue before iirc. well the fxz should be available pretty quickly; i'd be surprised if it isn't availalbe some time next week. i'd way rather wait for that than send in the phone and deal with tech support and refurbished devices.
this is also one of the reasons i never take ota; always wait for the fxz. then you can update just what you need: boot, system, and radio. i'm running 4.4 boot system and radio with every other partition still on 4.2.2. works fine and i always have the option to downgrade if i want to for whatever reason.

That's me, I wish I did the same with 4.2.2 but didn't know what I know now then. Now I plan on waiting for the sbf or a custom recovery flashable zip that can be reverted to 4.4 as I'll do everything in my power to keep off the "upgraded" bootloader.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
22nd February 2014, 06:08 PM   |  #9  

423 posts
More
Quote:

what would be really helpful for those who are bricking is someone with fully stock rooted 4.4.2 doing a dd of the recovery partition. then bricked users could fastboot the recovery to their devices and reinstall the update.

What is a dd?
22nd February 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #10  

584 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

What is a dd?

dd is a linux binary included in busybox. it can be used to make image dumps of partitions.
more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix))
Last edited by Q9Nap; 22nd February 2014 at 06:25 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Q9Nap For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread