Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 47,373 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flashing 4.4+ ROM while still on 4.2.2

Tip us?

tir918
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Flashing 4.4+ ROM while still on 4.2.2

So I've previously tried installing a 4.4 and a 4.4.2 ROM on my XT1056, with both leading up to recovery failure once I realized the ROM does not have all of the features that I want or has some bugs.

When I installed the 4.4 over 4.2.2 without flashing it, I then ran into problems like FCs to the point where I could not even get past the screen lock. When I rebooted into recovery it would stay on for a little less than a minute, and while I was trying to restore stock, the recovery would come to a halt and reboot my system. I then had to restore my system.

Today I tried putting 4.4.2 on it and it got through but it had a feature missing from it that I was looking forward to and I tried going back to stock once again and the exact same thing happens. Interrupted restoration to a reboot of nothing.

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tir918 View Post
So I've previously tried installing a 4.4 and a 4.4.2 ROM on my XT1056, with both leading up to recovery failure once I realized the ROM does not have all of the features that I want or has some bugs.

When I installed the 4.4 over 4.2.2 without flashing it, I then ran into problems like FCs to the point where I could not even get past the screen lock. When I rebooted into recovery it would stay on for a little less than a minute, and while I was trying to restore stock, the recovery would come to a halt and reboot my system. I then had to restore my system.

Today I tried putting 4.4.2 on it and it got through but it had a feature missing from it that I was looking forward to and I tried going back to stock once again and the exact same thing happens. Interrupted restoration to a reboot of nothing.

not sure what you did maybe try reinstalling the recovery
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1,286
First issue is your setting will fc when your base ROM is 4.2.2 and you have flashed a 4.4 or 4.4.2 ROM, the modem needs to be upgraded to prevent such issues, second issue is the recovery which also needs to be updated to kitkat otherwise you will not be able to restore your nandroids. So you either need to update to kitkat or stay with jb and not flash any kitkat roms

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes
The Following User Says Thank You to flashallthetime For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tir918
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
If I were to root 4.4 after taking the OTA, that flashes over a new radio? And if I still go through going to 4.4, would I be able to restore to 4.2.2?

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tir918 View Post
If I were to root 4.4 after taking the OTA, that flashes over a new radio? And if I still go through going to 4.4, would I be able to restore to 4.2.2?
Yes the ota flashes new radios and boot loaders, you can only downgrade from 4.4 to post camera 4.2.2 sbf firmware, I don't believe we can downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.2.2

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes
The Following User Says Thank You to flashallthetime For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sonic-77
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Posible upgrade and downgrade for MotoX

Im quoting a post from MakTail in other forum:

=======
There are currently 4 different available bootloaders for the Moto X.

In chronological order:

1) Pre-Camera 4.2.2
2) Post-Camera 4.2.2
3) KitKat 4.4
4) KitKat 4.4.2

Pre-Camera ----> Post-Camera <-----> KitKat 4.4 -----> KitKat 4.4.2

The arrows indicate when the bootloader downgrade is possible:

------> (one way update)
<----> (you can move back and forth between these bootloaders)

=======

i think this resolves all the questions about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonic-77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic-77 View Post
Im quoting a post from MakTail in other forum:

=======
There are currently 4 different available bootloaders for the Moto X.

In chronological order:

1) Pre-Camera 4.2.2
2) Post-Camera 4.2.2
3) KitKat 4.4
4) KitKat 4.4.2

Pre-Camera ----> Post-Camera <-----> KitKat 4.4 -----> KitKat 4.4.2

The arrows indicate when the bootloader downgrade is possible:

------> (one way update)
<----> (you can move back and forth between these bootloaders)

=======

i think this resolves all the questions about.
right this has to do with the bootloader only thou.

you can still flash everything else but if you do flash everything else and you get a OTA Update and you install it. It will brick your phone and it is not easy to get out of it and sometimes you can't
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |

The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]