Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,289 Members 36,444 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] foxfi and the new system update verizon

Tip us?
 
trinniboy68
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default [Q] foxfi and the new system update verizon

if i update my moto x dev edition will it break foxfi. i see they just updated to 4.4 but im scared to do it hate having to use the bluetooth connection.
 
samwathegreat
Old
#2  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,352
Posts: 1,659
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinniboy68 View Post
if i update my moto x dev edition will it break foxfi. i see they just updated to 4.4 but im scared to do it hate having to use the bluetooth connection.
Since you have the developer edition, are you rooted? If so, why not use the stock framework tether? You can use the Xposed module, or the Entitlement Check remover.

Also, if you are rooted, you can use the latest experimental build of WiFi Tether for Root Users.

Is there a specific reason you are wanting to use FoxFi? The only reason I can imagine is that you are not rooted.....but if you aren't rooted, why did you get the Developer Edition?
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.


I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE



Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
 
KidJoe
Old
#3  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 744
Posts: 1,924
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thorndale/Romansville, PA
@trinniboy68,

I agree with @samwathegreat. If you have a Dev Edition, why not unlock your bootloader and root? It doesn't void your warranty on the Dev Edition. And its pretty easy on the Dev Edition.

If you root, and all you want to do is Tether, then to make taking future OTA's easier, I suggest using Wifi Tether For Root app (See my notes about setup at the bootom of THIS PAGE. )

Another option is [APP][MOD][Root]Hotspot Entitlement Bypass v1.1 5/9/2014, but it does make changes to the build.prop, and while it undoes them, I haven't tested to see if it changes the checksum of the build.prop when it reverts its changes(if it does, that would get in the way of future OTA's)
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Sign up for Dropbox -> HERE
 
trinniboy68
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default moto x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
@trinniboy68,

I agree with @samwathegreat. If you have a Dev Edition, why not unlock your bootloader and root? It doesn't void your warranty on the Dev Edition. And its pretty easy on the Dev Edition.

If you root, and all you want to do is Tether, then to make taking future OTA's easier, I suggest using Wifi Tether For Root app (See my notes about setup at the bootom of THIS PAGE. )

Another option is [APP][MOD][Root]Hotspot Entitlement Bypass v1.1 5/9/2014, but it does make changes to the build.prop, and while it undoes them, I haven't tested to see if it changes the checksum of the build.prop when it reverts its changes(if it does, that would get in the way of future OTA's)
i have an unlocked bootloader. havent rooted yet cause i like the features of the moto are there roms that will dupl. the stock moto. i have verizon unlimited internet so need the ability to wifi link to my computer. as i am on the road a lot and its more secure to use my own wifi than someone elses. having a mac there arent any hacks for my phone, the one i did find the dev. isnt supporting it yet and bricking my phone i cant take right now as im fairly new to this. i rooted my s3
 
samwathegreat
Old
#5  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,352
Posts: 1,659
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinniboy68 View Post
i have an unlocked bootloader. havent rooted yet cause i like the features of the moto are there roms that will dupl. the stock moto. i have verizon unlimited internet so need the ability to wifi link to my computer. as i am on the road a lot and its more secure to use my own wifi than someone elses. having a mac there arent any hacks for my phone, the one i did find the dev. isnt supporting it yet and bricking my phone i cant take right now as im fairly new to this. i rooted my s3
No 'hacks' for your phone? The entire android SDK is available for MAC. We have several users here who have flashed their phones 100% with MAC.

If you download the MAC Toolkit, it includes everything you need, even though it isn't supported by its devs anymore. You just won't use any of the scripts (that's all that no longer supported). Also, since you have the DEV edition, you WON'T lose your warranty by rooting it. It's HIGHLY unlikely you will brick your phone unless you do something totally stupid that is well documented here (like: you NEVER downgrade or flash older firmwares/versions on your Moto X - this is one of the few ways you can brick it).

Since you have already unlocked the BL, all you would do is fastboot flash TWRP recovery, and it will root for you. Then you can use either method that @KidJoe and I have suggested for you. There honestly isn't much at all you can mess up.

Additionally, once you install TWRP, you can take a full backup that you could restore in the event of a problem. PLUS the SBF images are available, so even without a backup your phone could still be restored back to stock.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.


I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE



Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 28th June 2014 at 01:46 PM.)
#6  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 744
Posts: 1,924
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinniboy68 View Post
i have an unlocked bootloader. havent rooted yet cause i like the features of the moto are there roms that will dupl. the stock moto. i have verizon unlimited internet so need the ability to wifi link to my computer. as i am on the road a lot and its more secure to use my own wifi than someone elses. having a mac there arent any hacks for my phone, the one i did find the dev. isnt supporting it yet and bricking my phone i cant take right now as im fairly new to this. i rooted my s3
Some of these sentences run together, so If I miss anything, I'm sorry.

Rooting wont remove any features of the stock Moto roms. As far as "other roms" duplicating stock, I haven't run anything but the stock rom. While there are "alternates" (like CM) if they are NOT based on stock, they will not have the Moto specific features like active display, always on listening (OK google now....), etc.

I have unlimited data too. I purchased the Dev X since I was going to have to buy an X at full retail because I wanted to keep my Unlimited (and be able to root without waiting on vulnerabilities/exploits).

All I've done is unlocked the bootloader, to root I just flashed TWRP recovery, and installed SuperSU (see -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...cking-t2649738 although the TWRP and SuperSU versions linked are a little out of date now, they still work on 4.4 and 4.4.2). Then I use Wifi Tether for Root as mentioned earlier, greenify, Root Explorer, Quick Boot (reboot), Adree and not really much else that needs root, and no extra tweaks/hacks. In other words, I run stock, but rooted, with a few apps that need ROOT access, and nothing else modified on my phone.

The tools to flash the stock SBF files are RSDLite and mFastboot. Rsdlite is a GUI tool that flashes the full SBF/XML file, all commands, in like a batch mode. mFastboot is a command line tool that allows you to flash parts/pieces one at a time. I don't know if there is an RSDlite for Mac OS, but there is an mFastboot. So if you mess your phone up badly enough, you can usually recover with the stock images. (the only note being DO NOT DOWNGRADE your ROM!! for more see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-Downgrade.htm )
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Sign up for Dropbox -> HERE
 
trinniboy68
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Aug 2012
Thumbs up thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
Some of these sentences run together, so If I miss anything, I'm sorry.

Rooting wont remove any features of the stock Moto roms. As far as "other roms" duplicating stock, I haven't run anything but the stock rom. While there are "alternates" (like CM) if they are NOT based on stock, they will not have the Moto specific features like active display, always on listening (OK google now....), etc.

I have unlimited data too. I purchased the Dev X since I was going to have to buy an X at full retail because I wanted to keep my Unlimited (and be able to root without waiting on vulnerabilities/exploits).

All I've done is unlocked the bootloader, to root I just flashed TWRP recovery, and installed SuperSU (see -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...cking-t2649738 although the TWRP and SuperSU versions linked are a little out of date now, they still work on 4.4 and 4.4.2). Then I use Wifi Tether for Root as mentioned earlier, greenify, Root Explorer, Quick Boot (reboot), Adree and not really much else that needs root, and no extra tweaks/hacks. In other words, I run stock, but rooted, with a few apps that need ROOT access, and nothing else modified on my phone.

The tools to flash the stock SBF files are RSDLite and mFastboot. Rsdlite is a GUI tool that flashes the full SBF/XML file, all commands, in like a batch mode. mFastboot is a command line tool that allows you to flash parts/pieces one at a time. I don't know if there is an RSDlite for Mac OS, but there is an mFastboot. So if you mess your phone up badly enough, you can usually recover with the stock images. (the only note being DO NOT DOWNGRADE your ROM!! for more see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-Downgrade.htm )
thank you for the info

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Give Your Android Wear Device a Lock Screen with Lockable

Without a doubt,Android Wear is one of the most frequently talked abouttopics of … more

Forums Added for the LG G Watch R and Samsung Gear S

A little over a week ago, LG “inadvertently” let the world know about the … more

Secrecy App Goes Open Source, New LG Android Wear Device! – XDA Developer TV

Secrecy encryption app goes open source! That and much … more

Pushbullet Updated with SMS Send Ability

Pushbullet is one of thoseapplications that every Android lover should have installed on his or … more