Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 51,021 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Function of softkeys

Tip us?

mavericktc
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Function of softkeys

I love the idea of softkeys. With it you can put bigger screens on smaller devices and they can disappear whenever needed to.
The main problem is that it's a 50/50% chance that they will disappear when I think that they should. With physical keys that's never an issue.

Movies, yes
Games, yes
Full screen applications, yes

etc.

What determines when the keys disappear and not? Is it up to the app creator? What can I do about it (I'm not rooted)?

fury683
Old
Thanks Meter 56

DONATE TO ME
They can't always disappear in full screen games. If the game needs a back button you would be stuck.

I assume there is something in there that tells it. Much like if an app does not have an on screen menu button (usually three dots), a menu button will be added to the lower right side of the portion of the screen where the soft keys are.

It's not there for all apps, only ones that don't have a menu button on screen. Not sure if this is declared by the app or if 4.4 can detect it somehow and show the button when needed.
furyť™ - not helping the situation since 1987
Enable Moto X LED Charging Indicator (without Tasker)
Current Device: VZW MM Moto X, Woven Black, Black, Black | Previous: Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X

mavericktc
Old
(Last edited by mavericktc; 23rd January 2014 at 11:03 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fury683 View Post
They can't always disappear in full screen games. If the game needs a back button you would be stuck.

I assume there is something in there that tells it. Much like if an app does not have an on screen menu button (usually three dots), a menu button will be added to the lower right side of the portion of the screen where the soft keys are.

It's not there for all apps, only ones that don't have a menu button on screen. Not sure if this is declared by the app or if 4.4 can detect it somehow and show the button when needed.
On my tablet (running 4.1) I get these dots you are talking about (but not in the lower right corner, they replace the ordinary softkeys)). That's all fine because they take less space (from what I remember) then the ordinary softkeys.

If it all comes down to having a back button in the app, why not implement that in the app?

I downloaded crazy taxi yesterday and those softkeys are annoying me as hell.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2725
I ended up getting used to using LMT and just turn on expanded desktop to make the navigation keys go away. That way if LMT gives me any trouble...I just hit the power button and turn off expanded desktop and my navigation keys are back. (Gravity box to get that option in power menu.)

Hated pie at first...but used to it now.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips