Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,248 Members 38,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Not getting MMS/data - APN issue?

Tip us?

add lightness
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Not getting MMS/data - APN issue?

Hi everyone, I have an AT&T Moto X that hasn't been able to send or receive multimedia messages, and the data connection doesn't work. From what I've read, I believe it's an APN issue. However, I'm hesitant to mess with the settings because it's still on a basic phone plan, with no data. When I upgraded to the X, AT&T never automatically added a data plan. If possible, I really want to keep it this way, as I have no need for data, but would like to get MMS working.

In this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2238660) post #4 says to leave APN Type set to "phone" if you don't have an LTE plan. Is this a way to make MMS work, but not data? Is there a way to do this at all? And can that be done without AT&T recognizing the smartphone and adding a data plan? Any replies are appreciated

Here's my APN settings, defaults that came with the phone:

Name: AT&T phone
APN: phone
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
username: not set
password: not set
server: not set
mmsc: not set
mms proxy: not set
mms port: not set
mcc: 310
mnc: 410
Authentication type: not set
apn type: default,supl,hipri,dun
apn protocol: ipv4
apn roaming protocol: ipv4
apn enable/disable: enabled
bearer: unspecified
mvno type: not set
mvno value: not set

Name: ATT US MMS
mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
mms port: 80
apn type: mms

ai6908
Old
Thanks Meter 266

DONATE TO ME
You need some sort of data to download multimedia. Does it work with Wifi?
Hit "THANKS" button if you like the above post!!
Moto Atrix HD ROM - Batakang
HTC Flyer (WiFi) ROM - Stock Honeycomb3.2 No Root
My UnderVolt Tweak for cfX

add lightness
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai6908 View Post
You need some sort of data to download multimedia. Does it work with Wifi?
You mean a data connection, not plan, right? It doesn't work over wifi. From what I've read, only Sprint allows downloading MMS over wifi, not AT&T.

kzoodroid
Old
(Last edited by kzoodroid; 22nd May 2014 at 08:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 263
I have the same problem, data just all of a sudden quit working and I had an LTE connection with no problems since I got the phone in November, same APN's as you on my phone and both always worked. I now get nothing no 2G, 3G, HSPA+ or LTE. SMS and calls still work but no MMS as expected since it requires a data connection. Spent 2 hours with AT&T both online and in store trying to see if it was anything on their end. Tried every APN they could find for the MotoX, about 4 or 5 different ones they came up with, even tried a new SIM card and still nothing. I did a factory reset last night in desperation and still no data so I finally RMA'd the phone with Motorolla tech support and the new (refurbished) one should arrive tomorrow. We'll see if that fixes it.
Moto X GSM Dev. Ed.- 4.4.3, Stock w/ Xposed GEL; Nexus 4 - Stock 4.4.4, Rooted; Galaxy Tab 7 Plus - Stock 4.2

add lightness
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
You had to send it back? Oh wow. Please post an update when you get your new phone or get it figured out. Thanks for the response!!

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1133

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by add lightness View Post
Hi everyone, I have an AT&T Moto X that hasn't been able to send or receive multimedia messages, and the data connection doesn't work. From what I've read, I believe it's an APN issue. However, I'm hesitant to mess with the settings because it's still on a basic phone plan, with no data. When I upgraded to the X, AT&T never automatically added a data plan. If possible, I really want to keep it this way, as I have no need for data, but would like to get MMS working.

In this thread (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2238660) post #4 says to leave APN Type set to "phone" if you don't have an LTE plan. Is this a way to make MMS work, but not data? Is there a way to do this at all? And can that be done without AT&T recognizing the smartphone and adding a data plan? Any replies are appreciated

Here's my APN settings, defaults that came with the phone:

Name: AT&T phone
mmsc: not set
mms proxy: not set
mms port: not set
apn type: default,supl,hipri,dun

Name: ATT US MMS
mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
mms port: 80
apn type: mms
Not sure if this is the issue, but AT&T's own site says that the MMSC url should be: http://mmsc.cingular.com

You may give that a shot.

Additionally, from what I understand, MMS is ONLY transmitted through either EDGE, HSPA, HSPA+, or LTE

If you don't have data at all, I'm not sure if you can even send or receive MMS.

Good Luck
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE