Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,557 Members 46,378 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] getting off 4.4.2

Tip us?

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2724
The OP hasn't returned. So I assume he resolved his issues.

I don't know what happens trying to flash an older android version custom ROM actually. An error i would think....or hope anyway. On a nexus you get an error about the boot loader version...I think. But I've never seen it, cause on a nexus you can manually flash any boot loader you want. Older or newer.

I never flashed "ROMs" on my moto x. Just stock with xposed. Custom ROMs have issues, and no moto features.

The x really isn't a "flashing" phone. Definitely nothing like a nexus.
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

r.storm85
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post

I don't know what happens trying to flash an older android version custom ROM actually. An error i would think....or hope anyway. On a nexus you get an error about the boot loader version...I think. But I've never seen it, cause on a nexus you can manually flash any boot loader you want. Older or newer.

I never flashed "ROMs" on my moto x. Just stock with xposed. Custom ROMs have issues, and no moto features.

The x really isn't a "flashing" phone. Definitely nothing like a nexus.
Ya I jus remember on my evo I could flash back and forth between a 2.2, 2.3, cm6 whatever was available and it didn't matter. Like instead of taking a ota for 4.4.2 on my nexus 7 from 4.3 I jus found a stock rooted 4.4.2 ROM and flashed it. No need for ota or downgrades. And I have nandroids of 4.3 if I wanted to downgrade. Just trying to get a understanding of the ins and outs if this phone before and if I venture into rooting ya know

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.storm85 View Post
So I'm use to an evo4g and I could flash any ROM once I was rooted with s-off and recovery installed. It wouldn't mess with the boot loader at all. So this phone every ROM comes with a certain boot loader??

S-off on the htc's is more "unlocked" than unlocking the boot loader on the X. With s-off, security checks, etc are bypassed.

I've posted the "long version" before, and I don't have time to retype it..so... The 4.4.2 update on the X changed the boot loader, gpt.bin and other things. They can not be downgraded. Attempts to do so will either fail, cause you problems, and will either brick the phone or set it up to brick if updating later.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

r.storm85
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
S-off on the htc's is more "unlocked" than unlocking the boot loader on the X. With s-off, security checks, etc are bypassed.

I've posted the "long version" before, and I don't have time to retype it..so... The 4.4.2 update on the X changed the boot loader, gpt.bin and other things. They can not be downgraded. Attempts to do so will either fail, cause you problems, and will either brick the phone or set it up to brick if updating later.
Right I understand the boot loader cannot be downgraded. But if you have root and are unlocked with a custom recovery on the x you can't flash any android version ROM you want ?

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2724
Quote:
Right I understand the boot loader cannot be downgraded. But if you have root and are unlocked with a custom recovery on the x you can't flash any android version ROM you want ?

Its been said over and over. No offence.

No. You can't downgrade the os after you've got 4.4.2. Once on 4.4.2....always on 4.4.2.

Well, you may be able to if you research on how some say they have. But you can brick. Its always a strong risk. If you are ready to buy a new phone in case things go bad.....then search on the ways people have done it.

But none of the guys "in the know" here would recommend it, or help anyone do it.

Nothing else really to say.

Good luck!

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 637
Quote:

first off, I'm on vacation with my family, typing this on my stupid iPad whose autocorrect is driving me batty so if my details seem sparse, sorry, I have typed this info with more details before, search.

if you are talking about custom, 3rd party rooms, maybe... As it depends on what parts they flash, and what their base is.

But if you are talking about moto roms, then NO. Do not, unless you don't mind turning your X into a brick or paper weight.

Again stop thinking about htc s-off and what you were able to do as it doesn't apply to moto. Coming from an Incredible and Thunderbolt with s-off, I know how it's hard to forget. And trying to compare the two will cause many questions,

Due to changes in the bootloader and gpt.bin included with 4.4.2 on the X, under certain circumstances when trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 or lower, you could either brick your phone, or set it up to brick in the future when you take an upgrade. So it is suggested you just stick with what is on your phone once you get on 4.4.2. If you have an unlocked boot loader you won't need to downgrade to root.

I've read, (not going to dig up the link right now cause I'm on iPad) of some who had 4.4.2 but successfully mfastboot flashed system.img only, and if they went into app drawer -> setting -> security -> they were kicked back out to settings. This is due to system parts relying on the other components. I'm not sure what other problems were found day to day.

Additionally there were/are many reports asking for help because their device won't boot. The common thread.... They had 4.4.2 and downgraded or tried to downgrade.

I'm not going to go into every possible scenario, what might happen, what causes it, what might be safe, etc. the general consensus is once you have 4.4.2 on your X do not try to downgrade!
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ghstudio
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
The OP has now returned and I have not resolved my issues

The advice here appears to be...don't try it so I will either continue to use the moto-x until hopefully 4.4.3 fixes the bluetooth issues, or I'll use my older galazy nexus until Motorola/Google figures out how to get the moto-x working.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
The OP has now returned and I have not resolved my issues

The advice here appears to be...don't try it so I will either continue to use the moto-x until hopefully 4.4.3 fixes the bluetooth issues, or I'll use my older galazy nexus until Motorola/Google figures out how to get the moto-x working.
Have you reflashed 4.4.2 stock and had a fresh start? Cause there aren't any/many other reports of this. You may just need a fresh install.

My x has none of those issues anyway on 4.4.2.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

And have you tried another Bluetooth device. It could be the problem too. Just not compatible with the x.

r.storm85
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
first off, I'm on vacation with my family, typing this on my stupid iPad whose autocorrect is driving me batty so if my details seem sparse, sorry, I have typed this info with more details before, search.

if you are talking about custom, 3rd party rooms, maybe... As it depends on what parts they flash, and what their base is.

But if you are talking about moto roms, then NO. Do not, unless you don't mind turning your X into a brick or paper weight.

Again stop thinking about htc s-off and what you were able to do as it doesn't apply to moto. Coming from an Incredible and Thunderbolt with s-off, I know how it's hard to forget. And trying to compare the two will cause many questions,

Due to changes in the bootloader and gpt.bin included with 4.4.2 on the X, under certain circumstances when trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 or lower, you could either brick your phone, or set it up to brick in the future when you take an upgrade. So it is suggested you just stick with what is on your phone once you get on 4.4.2. If you have an unlocked boot loader you won't need to downgrade to root.

I've read, (not going to dig up the link right now cause I'm on iPad) of some who had 4.4.2 but successfully mfastboot flashed system.img only, and if they went into app drawer -> setting -> security -> they were kicked back out to settings. This is due to system parts relying on the other components. I'm not sure what other problems were found day to day.

Additionally there were/are many reports asking for help because their device won't boot. The common thread.... They had 4.4.2 and downgraded or tried to downgrade.

I'm not going to go into every possible scenario, what might happen, what causes it, what might be safe, etc. the general consensus is once you have 4.4.2 on your X do not try to downgrade!
OK thanks for the explanation.