GPS and Assist Notification

Search This thread
Nov 29, 2010
After either the 4.4.3 update or an update to Assist, any time I turn off my GPS I get a notification saying

"GPS needs to be on and set to high accuracy mode in order to detect your location and activity."

Has anyone else experienced this and/or knows how to turn it off?

M973

Dec 20, 2010
NJ
After either the 4.4.3 update or an update to Assist, any time I turn off my GPS I get a notification saying

"GPS needs to be on and set to high accuracy mode in order to detect your location and activity."

Has anyone else experienced this and/or knows how to turn it off?

Yes, I get it too, since the update. I clear it from the notification and I leave it on "device only" in location. I leave GPS on anyway, as I believe it only is active if an app needs it. I only get the message about the high accuracy setting if I reboot, but I just clear it away.

Nov 29, 2010
I leave GPS on anyway, as I believe it only is active if an app needs it.

I've never heard this, I think if you were to leave GPS on stuff like Google Now & Location services would always use it... unless you were to deactivate those I suppose. Either way, It seems like it would be a pretty large battery drain.

Groid

May 7, 2010
I keep gps on and have Location set to high accuracy. On the Google Location Reporting at the bottom of the Location page, I have it set to off. This does not affect maps, navigation, etc., and I do not have high battery drain. The gps is only active when needed for something like navigation or Assist.

Reactions: thehockeydude44

Groid

May 7, 2010
Yes, I last more than a day usually. I work out of home and am on good wifi so I don't rely on data that uses more battery. So I would characterize my usage as light, but I feel my battery is good. I haven't noticed much more, if any, drain since leaving gps on. I think the main thing is to turn off Google location services. I don't do anything that those services would help with.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I keep gps on and have Location set to high accuracy. On the Google Location Reporting at the bottom of the Location page, I have it set to off. This does not affect maps, navigation, etc., and I do not have high battery drain. The gps is only active when needed for something like navigation or Assist.