FORUMS

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Hairline cracks - Anyone?

22nd April 2015, 11:18 PM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 150

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by James4.0

I am starting the RMA process on my second VZ DE moto X. I as told there is no update fee to have the warranty phone be a Nexus 6 or other.

A nexus 6 would be quite an upgrade, who told you that if I might ask.

23rd April 2015, 03:46 PM |#72  
Flag Prince Frederick, MD
Thanks Meter: 1

More
No one told me, I asked the rep if I can pay a fee to have the warranty phone be a different model since I was having issues with the DE back cover cracking on multiple replacements.

But, I was off by 1 month from the last warranty replacement phone. The replacement warranty is for 3 months and it has been 4 months since my last warranty replacement phone, so I am not outside the the warranty. I am going to live with my cracked back cover and not pay the $100 repair fee.
Today, 03:59 PM |#73  
Flag Sierra Nevada (west slope)
Thanks Meter: 175

More
If you're handy, you can by colored backs off eBay for under ten bucks and replace it yourself fairly easily. The colored backs don't have this problem.
Today, 04:21 PM |#74  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera

If you're handy, you can by colored backs off eBay for under ten bucks and replace it yourself fairly easily. The colored backs don't have this problem.

Do you have a tutorial on this? I need to do it...
Today, 05:48 PM |#75  
Flag Sierra Nevada (west slope)
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1313

Do you have a tutorial on this? I need to do it...

No, but I think iFixit has a teardown. You also might want to do a search on YouTube.

The back is held on via clips around the perimeter, and an adhesive pad inside. You'll need a small plastic pry tool to release the clips. You should heat the back after the clips are released to soften the adhesive to make it easier to separate the back.

The adhesive is bonded to the NFC antenna. Be careful you do not tug so hard on the antenna that you tear its ribbon near its connector. If you do (I did), you can get a new one from China for under 10 dollars.

There is a ribbon cable from the flash on the back to a zif connector on the front, which is easily removed and reconnected.

The toughest part of this is getting the first few clips released, and then just be patient and methodical on the adhesive. The adhesive is plenty sticky enough to be reused.

I did this twice on my phone as I didn't notice I tore the NFC cable the first time around. TEST NFC before reattaching the new back!
The Following User Says Thank You to Solutions Etcetera For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread