[help] Dialer/phone force closes

Tip us?

sd0070
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default [help] Dialer/phone force closes

Rooted (stock) VZW moto x

A couple days ago my phone app started force closing immediately upon opening it every time. It doesn't work at all now. I am rooted, but I rooted weeks ago and this just started yesterday or the day before. I haven't messed with anything. The only thing that I have done is download apps from the play store... None of which 'should' mess with the phone app.

I have since downloaded an alternative dialer app which works, but I'd rather use stock. I tried rebooting, tried clearing the app's cache and data (in system settings - apps) and no luck.

Any help would be great. Either finding/fixing the issue or a way to reinstall the stock phone app? I am rooted and I believe write protection is off, which I had to do to install busybox. Thanks!

sd0070
Old
(Last edited by sd0070; 31st December 2013 at 01:09 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
__

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 171
What version are you on. 4.2.2 or 4.4

There is a couple things i would try i have had to do it with other phone specially my old S3

1. restore from a backup when i the dialer was not FC
2. try reinstalling the dialer from the APK located here device/system/prvi-app/dialer.apk
3. pull the dialer.apk out of the correct stock ROM or recover img and replace the one located in the above folder and install it.

but to be honest option one is normally the best way to go and the fastest.[COLOR="Silver"]
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |

sd0070
Old
(Last edited by sd0070; 1st January 2014 at 08:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Thanks. I'm on 4.4. I'm going to try option 2 when i get home. I'm not exactly sure how to restore a backup on this phone yet being that i dont really have a recovery.

Edit: option 2 installed ok, but still force closes

dray_jr
Old
(Last edited by dray_jr; 1st January 2014 at 09:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 171
let me get you the .apk from the restore img give me about a hour to download it and get you a link

also do you know how to use titanium backup if so i would install it and back up all user apps and data because you might have to do a factory reset. but if you backup with TB you and restore everything right back to ware you was
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |