Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,513 Members 52,480 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help! Locked AT&T Moto X without anymore unlock attempts

Tip us?

FooloX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Help! Locked AT&T Moto X without anymore unlock attempts

Hoping for some help here. I'm a true NOVICE who bought a locked AT&T Moto X online. There were problems unlocking it and all attempts to unlock it using a code were used (not exactly my fault but it's a long story lol)

I've done some reading and I'm wondering if using JCase's ROCKMYMOTO method to root the phone using Cydia Impactor will also unlock it from the AT&T carrier?

(fyi I tried to install 'MotoRoot' and 'PwnMyMoto' but both were rejected I'm assuming because the person I bought it from updated the Camera patch that nullifies the two earlier roots).

Any help would be great.

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooloX View Post
Hoping for some help here. I'm a true NOVICE who bought a locked AT&T Moto X online. There were problems unlocking it and all attempts to unlock it using a code were used (not exactly my fault but it's a long story lol)

I've done some reading and I'm wondering if using JCase's ROCKMYMOTO method to root the phone using Cydia Impactor will also unlock it from the AT&T carrier?

(fyi I tried to install 'MotoRoot' and 'PwnMyMoto' but both were rejected I'm assuming because the person I bought it from updated the Camera patch that nullifies the two earlier roots).

Any help would be great.
Bootloader unlock or sim unlock? Also, cydia? Isn't that an ios thing?
The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Pretty sure you are talking about the sim unlock which I know only gives a certain number to tries to get the proper code.
The only thing I can suggest is to plug the phone in so it has power and then let it sit at the code entry screen, with any luck after a number of hours it will again prompt for the code.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FooloX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
Pretty sure you are talking about the sim unlock which I know only gives a certain number to tries to get the proper code.
The only thing I can suggest is to plug the phone in so it has power and then let it sit at the code entry screen, with any luck after a number of hours it will again prompt for the code.
It doesn't bring up the SIM unlock screen anymore even when I insert new SIM cards. It reads my SIM as I can use theSIM toolkit and see my phone# but there is always the 'No Sim Error' icon at the top line of the phone.

FooloX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
okay well I guess there is no solution to it then... too bad I was hoping somebody would've had a suggestion or perhaps even an easy fix.

A heads up, if anyone here is with AT&T and wishes to stay with AT&T for the life of a Moto X I'll be putting a sharp Blue/White with Red accents MOTO X up on EBay pretty soon. It works great except it is apparently now impossible to unlock it to another carrier.

Cheers.

anirudh412
Old
Thanks Meter 315
Quote:
okay well I guess there is no solution to it then... too bad I was hoping somebody would've had a suggestion or perhaps even an easy fix.

A heads up, if anyone here is with AT&T and wishes to stay with AT&T for the life of a Moto X I'll be putting a sharp Blue/White with Red accents MOTO X up on EBay pretty soon. It works great except it is apparently now impossible to unlock it to another carrier.

Cheers.
Did you try speaking with AT&T customer care? Surely there has to be a solution to this
The Following User Says Thank You to anirudh412 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 167
Have you tried any of the codes from other Motorola phones that may bring up the unlock screen? I thought most of them still allowed you to unlock but forced you to wait a long time if too many incorrect codes were entered.

One of the codes I found was #073887*

Or leaving the phone phone powered up and turning airplane mode on and off after waiting a long time to see if the unlock screen will come back.

Even if you do root the phone it won't unlock it, the only way is the proper 8 digit code. I have unlocked two of them without a problem but they were Rogers Canada phones which seem easy(and cheap) to get unlock codes for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FooloX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh412 View Post
Did you try speaking with AT&T customer care? Surely there has to be a solution to this
I havent talked to AT&T as I bought the phone second-hand off of EBay. Plus I believe unlocking voids the warranty so I don't believe they assist me with it.

FooloX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
Have you tried any of the codes from other Motorola phones that may bring up the unlock screen? I thought most of them still allowed you to unlock but forced you to wait a long time if too many incorrect codes were entered.

One of the codes I found was #073887*

Or leaving the phone phone powered up and turning airplane mode on and off after waiting a long time to see if the unlock screen will come back.

Even if you do root the phone it won't unlock it, the only way is the proper 8 digit code. I have unlocked two of them without a problem but they were Rogers Canada phones which seem easy(and cheap) to get unlock codes for.

Thanks for some good suggestions I hadn't heard or thought of. So far no luck but I'm gonna keep trying.

I found a neat app on Google Play. It's for the Samsung Galaxy series call 'Galaxsim Unlock' and apparently once you download the app it'll do all the unlocking for you ie. No entering the code yourself. That would seem to bypass my problem. I emailed the developer, 'Spocky', asking if there are plans to have an app like that for the Moto X and/or if he might know a solution to my problem. Fingers crossed!

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 826
Quote:
I havent talked to AT&T as I bought the phone second-hand off of EBay. Plus I believe unlocking voids the warranty so I don't believe they assist me with it.
Sim unlocking doesn't void the warranty. They should help if you still have service with them. If not, then don't bother. They don't care if you already switched to another carrier.

The Following User Says Thank You to aooga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]