5,605,250 Members 38,448 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Help] Moving from a locked bootloader with root to an unlocked bootloader

Tip us?

grad061980
Old
(Last edited by grad061980; 29th January 2014 at 06:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default [Help] Moving from a locked bootloader with root to an unlocked bootloader

I would like to move the current state of my phone from a locked bootloader with root and write protection off to an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery. I have the US Cellular Moto X currently on 4.4. I have not a clue where to begin this process. If anyone can point in the right direction or if this is covered in another thread, please show me.

Couple of notes. I do not need steps to unlock the bootloader, just if someone has done it & the basic steps to accomplish it.

iifuzz
Old
Thanks Meter 9
You can root without unlocking the boot loader?

grad061980
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Yes & I am root & I have system write off. I have a locked bootloader. I want to go from my current state to having an unlocked bootloader with a custom recovery. Reason why is because I want to be able to flash zips of some certain apps that require to only be flashed via a custom recovery. I would also like to try some custom roms out.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk 2

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Go to Moto's website to request an unlock code, then follow steps found in the FAQ/guide.
The Following User Says Thank You to nhizzat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

grad061980
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
Go to Moto's website to request an unlock code, then follow steps found in the FAQ/guide.
Thank you. I just didn't know if there was a step required before using the moto unlock being that I was root/system write pertection off already. I'll see if my phone is unlockable from moto's site.

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad061980 View Post
Thank you. I just didn't know if there was a step required before using the moto unlock being that I was root/system write pertection off already. I'll see if my phone is unlockable from moto's site.
Just remember unlocking wipes everything, from there you need to flash twrp with mfastboot and finally root with superuser

Sent on my Moto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes

grad061980
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashallthetime View Post
Just remember unlocking wipes everything, from there you need to flash twrp with mfastboot and finally root with superuser

Sent on my Moto X
I forgot about it wiping everything. Thanks! I'll make a backup.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk 2