[Q] Help recovering photos - please

1st September 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Dear XDA Forum users-

I'm desperate! Short story is my wife cracked her Moto X screen, I tried to repair it with no luck, and she wants the pictures of her 8 year old niece that passed away a week ago! I never backed it up before trying to fix the cracked screen - and now the LCD is also broken. OK I know, I'm in divorce territory here. I need help. And I'm feeling AWFUL! The phone powers up but only vibrates randomly.

I've done a ton of research and it looks like if I had an unlocked bootloader I could install CWM and get the files back. Unfortunately her phone is a Verizon Moto X and cannot be unlocked.

I have been able to put the phone in fastboot mode and fasatboot.exe sees it. I can't get adb.exe to see the phone. I think USB debugging must not be enabled.

Am I completely out of luck? Can one of you save these very precious pictures for me? Please!

Thanks so much
1st September 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

32 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebus

Dear XDA Forum users-

I'm desperate! Short story is my wife cracked her Moto X screen, I tried to repair it with no luck, and she wants the pictures of her 8 year old niece that passed away a week ago! I never backed it up before trying to fix the cracked screen - and now the LCD is also broken. OK I know, I'm in divorce territory here. I need help. And I'm feeling AWFUL! The phone powers up but only vibrates randomly.

I've done a ton of research and it looks like if I had an unlocked bootloader I could install CWM and get the files back. Unfortunately her phone is a Verizon Moto X and cannot be unlocked.

I have been able to put the phone in fastboot mode and fasatboot.exe sees it. I can't get adb.exe to see the phone. I think USB debugging must not be enabled.

Am I completely out of luck? Can one of you save these very precious pictures for me? Please!

Thanks so much

The easiest way I can see is to have a cell phone repair shop look at it. I've replaced dozens of motorola lcds and digitizers and many that are also glued together. It should be a simple matter of replacing the entire front of the device. On the downside the replacement part will most likely cost upwards of $100 not counting the time it takes but this seems like your best bet at least from what I know.

Other more experienced members may be able to help recover the files in the state it's in.

Sent from my KFTHWI
1st September 2014, 10:39 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfpk

The easiest way I can see is to have a cell phone repair shop look at it. I've replaced dozens of motorola lcds and digitizers and many that are also glued together. It should be a simple matter of replacing the entire front of the device. On the downside the replacement part will most likely cost upwards of $100 not counting the time it takes but this seems like your best bet at least from what I know.

Other more experienced members may be able to help recover the files in the state it's in.

Sent from my KFTHWI

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I agree, fastest fix is to replace the screen. Unfortunately I have no idea if that will actually fix the problem. You see the device is now just randomly vibrating. I have no idea what that means. It could mean that the device is broken completely - I did after all disassemble it in my effort to replace the cracked screen.

If anyone has a bricked Moto X they would be willing to donate to my cause, I would be most thankful!

If there is any way to confirm the pictures are actually there....that would be helpful. If they could be recovered somehow using fastboot that would be amazing!

Thanks!
8th September 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Unhappy Any other ideas?
It seems possible that I can load a recovery image while connected to fastboot and boot into that to get to ADB then pull the root filesystem.

Is that possible? Can anyone confirm please.... still desperate.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread