5,814,863 Members 49,609 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help rooting.

Tip us?

pianoman674
Old
(Last edited by pianoman674; 10th February 2014 at 12:51 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Need help rooting.

UPDATE:

So I'm trying the reddit instructions again, and I'm making more progress than before. Here's where I'm at now: Everything works flawlessly until I get to step 19. I get a message saying "can't create /sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission denied" and my phone never reboots. I've browsed through the comments there and everyone else who gets hung up there just repeats previous steps and has it work (which I've tried) or can't remember how they got it to work. I thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone has any suggestions now.

==================================================

Hey everyone, I've been desperately trying to root my Moto X and I just can't get it to work. I ordered mine about a week ago and I've spent the last two days tinkering away with no success. I've rooted my Droid X and my Droid Razr Maxx in the past, so I would say I have a moderate level of understanding, but I'm stumped by this one.

I tried going the easy route using the Moto X Root Script but it continuously failed for me. I would have posted there, but unfortunately since I'm not the most active user, I haven't even made it to the 10 posts mark so I'm not allowed to... so then I took to the internet and used these instructions I found on Reddit to run through RockMyMoto manually followed by MotoWpNoMoto. I successfully achieved root on 4.2.2 and then accepted the OTA to move to KitKat. However, my phone went into a boot loop and I couldn't get it to respond to anything, so I flashed back to 4.2.2 to try running through the process again. Now, I can't get it to root on 4.2.2 anymore, and I'm not sure what's going wrong.

MotoWpNoMoto does tell me that write protection is already removed, but I'm still not getting anywhere. After flashing back to a clean 4.2.2, I try running the first part of SlapMyMoto, and it says it's all successful, but then when I accept the OTA and try to proceed to the second part of it where you push install.sh, I get an error saying "Install script failed! You received a Permission Denied error while attempting to load the install script into the UEVENT_HELPER. This means that root was not successfully obtained." If I try downloading SuperSU from the marketplace, it tells me no SU binary is installed and the SuperSU can't install it.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman674 View Post
Hey everyone, I've been desperatley trying to root my Moto X and I just can't get it to work. I ordered mine about a week ago and I've spent the last two days tinkering away with no success. I've rooted my Droid X and my Droid Razr Maxx in the past, so I would say I have a moderate level of understanding, but I'm stumped by this one.

I tried going the easy route using the Moto X Root Script but it continuously failed for me. I would have posted there, but unfortunately since I'm not the most active user, I haven't even made it to the 10 posts mark so I'm not allowed to... so then I took to the internet and used these instructions I found on Reddit to run through RockMyMoto manually followed by MotoWpNoMoto. I successfully achieved root on 4.2.2 and then accepted the OTA to move to KitKat. However, my phone went into a boot loop and I couldn't get it to respond to anything, so I flashed back to 4.2.2 to try running through the process again. Now, I can't get it to root on 4.2.2 anymore, and I'm not sure what's going wrong.

MotoWpNoMoto does tell me that write protection is already removed, but I'm still not getting anywhere. After flashing back to a clean 4.2.2, I try running the first part of SlapMyMoto, and it says it's all successful, but then when I accept the OTA and try to proceed to the second part of it where you push install.sh, I get an error saying "Install script failed! You received a Permission Denied error while attempting to load the install script into the UEVENT_HELPER. This means that root was not successfully obtained." If I try downloading SuperSU from the marketplace, it tells me no SU binary is installed and the SuperSU can't install it.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?
I we to assume you have a consumers version and not the developer edition?

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes

pianoman674
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashallthetime View Post
I we to assume you have a consumers version and not the developer edition?

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
That is correct, sorry I forgot to put that in there.

32 GB Consumer on Verizon, Came with KitKat preinstalled.