XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help: Unable to flash TWRP on unlocked bootloader after 4.4 update

Tip us?

danherbert
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy [Q] Help: Unable to flash TWRP on unlocked bootloader after 4.4 update

I recently rolled back to the factory image to install the OTA 4.4 update (Sprint). I had an unlocked bootloader prior to the update and when I boot into recovery my device tells me I'm unlocked. I downloaded the TWRP image and used the following command from the boot loader:

Code:
mfastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img
When I run that command (I also tried "fastboot" in addition to mfastboot), it looks like everything worked OK but when I choose the "recovery" option from the bootloader my device boots into Android instead of into the recovery rom. When I try:

Code:
adb reboot recovery
My device displays the "No Command" recovery screen, as if it were booted using the stock Android recovery image instead of TWRP.

Am I missing a step somewhere to get TWRP on my device?

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by danherbert View Post
I recently rolled back to the factory image to install the OTA 4.4 update (Sprint). I had an unlocked bootloader prior to the update and when I boot into recovery my device tells me I'm unlocked. I downloaded the TWRP image and used the following command from the boot loader:

Code:
mfastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img
When I run that command (I also tried "fastboot" in addition to mfastboot), it looks like everything worked OK but when I choose the "recovery" option from the bootloader my device boots into Android instead of into the recovery rom. When I try:

Code:
adb reboot recovery
My device displays the "No Command" recovery screen, as if it were booted using the stock Android recovery image instead of TWRP.

Am I missing a step somewhere to get TWRP on my device?
So after flashing recovery did you try to access twrp prior to rebooting to the system?

Sent on my Moto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes

danherbert
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashallthetime View Post
So after flashing recovery did you try to access twrp prior to rebooting to the system?
Yes. I've tried accessing recovery directly from the fastboot menu immediately after flashing.

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by danherbert View Post
Yes. I've tried accessing recovery directly from the fastboot menu immediately after flashing.
OK, you're going to hate this but you need to rsdlite your carriers kitkat sbf firmware, its happened to more than a few people including me, recovery just won't stick after taking an ota for some folks

Sent on my Moto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes
The Following User Says Thank You to flashallthetime For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danherbert
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashallthetime View Post
OK, you're going to hate this but you need to rsdlite your carriers kitkat sbf firmware, its happened to more than a few people including me, recovery just won't stick after taking an ota for some folks
Your suggestion worked. I didn't have easy access to a Windows machine so I couldn't use rsdlite. I had to manually reset to stock. For anyone who stumbles upon this thread, these are the steps I used which worked for me:
  1. Make sure adb and fastboot from the Android SDK are already part of your PATH.
  2. Download moto-fastboot for Mac OS X
  3. Download the Kitkat 4.4 update for Sprint (Make sure to download the version that matches the build number from "Settings -> About Phone" in your device)
  4. Download the Kitkat 4.4 version of TWRP
  5. Extract the factory image .zip to a folder
  6. Copy the moto-fastboot binary to the folder you extracted the factory image to and rename it to "mfastboot"
  7. Copy the TWRP .img file to the folder with the factory image files
  8. Create a file named "factoryreset.sh" and paste the following as its contents
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

FASTBOOT=./mfastboot
    $FASTBOOT getvar max-download-size
    $FASTBOOT oem fb_mode_set
    $FASTBOOT flash partition gpt.bin
    $FASTBOOT flash motoboot motoboot.img
    $FASTBOOT flash logo logo.bin
    $FASTBOOT flash boot boot.img
    $FASTBOOT flash recovery recovery.img
    $FASTBOOT flash system system.img
    $FASTBOOT flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    $FASTBOOT erase modemst1
    $FASTBOOT erase modemst2
    $FASTBOOT flash fsg fsg.mbn
    $FASTBOOT erase cache
    $FASTBOOT erase userdata
    $FASTBOOT erase customize
    $FASTBOOT erase clogo
    $FASTBOOT oem config carrier sprint
    $FASTBOOT oem fb_mode_clear
  9. Open a terminal and navigate to the directory you created
  10. On your device, navigate to "Settings -> About Phone" and tap on the build number 7 times to enable developer mode
  11. Go back to the main "Settings" screen, open "Developer Options", and enable USB Debugging
  12. Connect your device to your computer. Go back to your device, make sure you choose to trust your computer to use ADB in the dialog that pops up, then run the following command from your terminal
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
  13. Once your device is in fastboot mode, run the command
    Code:
    sh factoryreset.sh
  14. From the device choose to boot normally and wait for it to finish booting completely.
  15. Run the command
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
  16. Once the device is in fastboot mode again, run the command
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img
  17. From your device, power up normally then reboot into the recovery. If everything went smoothly you'll boot into TWRP recovery.
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to danherbert For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]