Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 40,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Mass Storage Mode?

Tip us?

robross0606
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Question [Q] Mass Storage Mode?

I was shocked/appalled to find that my brand new MotoX doesn't support true Mass Storage mode. Just MTP and PTP which doesn't give you true unfettered access to the files on the "sdcard". It was bad enough the device has no actual SD Card, but I figured I would at least be able to connect and transfer files at high speed. I understand the device is using ext partitioning now, but I have ext support in my OS and want access to the dang files. MTP and PTP just don't cut it. Anyone had any luck enabling true UMS on MotoX or is it disabled at the kernel level?

planktoid
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Not ext. F2FS.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dark9781
Old
Thanks Meter 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by robross0606 View Post
I was shocked/appalled to find that my brand new MotoX doesn't support true Mass Storage mode. Just MTP and PTP which doesn't give you true unfettered access to the files on the "sdcard". It was bad enough the device has no actual SD Card, but I figured I would at least be able to connect and transfer files at high speed. I understand the device is using ext partitioning now, but I have ext support in my OS and want access to the dang files. MTP and PTP just don't cut it. Anyone had any luck enabling true UMS on MotoX or is it disabled at the kernel level?
It's something that Google did away with starting with Jellybean. There has been a few programs that worked with the Samsung galaxy phones. You can search and see if they work. I never got it to work on my Atrix HD when I was using it.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Need Cloud storage? Try dropbox today. Just click on the link below to get started.
Dropbox
--------------------------------------------------------------
Can you see my memories?

robross0606
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
From what I'm reading, it has to do with the lack of an actual separate SD Card partition with FAT32. UMS requires a block device so they would have to give use direct full access to the entire file tree. Moreover, the entire file tree is EXT4 and not FAT32 so even if it was exposed you wouldn't be able to read it in Windows without a 3rd party driver.

They're moving swiftly away from SD Card support which was one of the big reasons I supported Android over IOS. I haven't found any app which worked yet. I ultimately had to use FTP to transfer the files which was absurdly slow by comparison. This, coupled with the crappy AMOLED display and burn-in concerns, has me thinking I may send this Moto X back.

aviwdoowks
Old
(Last edited by aviwdoowks; 17th April 2014 at 05:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 486
USB mass storage mode works in Windows 7. On osx this should work for rootered users.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2175747

Edit & yes AFT dmg [mac] sucks sucks sucks.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.
Tags
mass storage, ums, usb