Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,389 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do I turn off the OTA notification?

Tip us?

beefamato
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] How do I turn off the OTA notification?

I'm on a non-dev Verizon and am rooted with 4.4. I don't want to upgrade and lose my root (re-enable WP, that is), so I've been delaying it by a day every time it shows. If I just want to stay on 4.4, how do I cancel the OTA notification?

overthatscreen
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Correct me if I'm wrong but... If you're not on the stock recovery, it will download the OTA but fail to flash which in return prevents it from asking for another OTA attempt. At least that's my experience from other phones.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Palm Pre, EVO 4G, Galaxy S2, Sensation 4G, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Moto X

beefamato
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I did that once, and it stopped asking. But within a day or so it had downloaded the OTA again and began notifying me again.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,316
Freeze Motorola ota app.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

Ezekial
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I am in a similar boat as you. My 4.4 is setup and working great. One of these days I will update to 4.4.2 through a rooted SafeStrap install. However, I don't have enough benefit at the moment to do so and risk loosing root, etc.

To disable the damn annoying update prompt I have frozen FOTA and MotorolaOTA using TitaniumBackup.

Other unrelated apps frozen is AT&T Locker, Motorola Migrate, myAT&T, Visual Voicemail.
AT&T MotoX, 4.4, safestrap & rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to Ezekial For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beefamato
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
What is FOTA?

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Did you bother to search?

EVOSerb
Old
Thanks Meter 29
There are few threads I've seen about that. Search for it.

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 747
If you are rooted, use a file manager/explorer with root compatibility (like Root Explorer), navigate to /system/priv-app and rename 3C_OTA.APK to something like 3C_OTA.APK.BAK and restart your phone.

If the OTA ZIP has already downloaded, you also want to navigate to /cache and find/delete the update ZIP file.

Should you ever want to take the OTA in the future, you'll just need to "undo" the rename.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]