XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to turn off 4.2.2 to 4.4 update nag screen

Tip us?

larry62
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default How to turn off 4.2.2 to 4.4 update nag screen

Given some of the issues I've seen listed regarding 4.4 on the Moto X, I've decided to wait until a point kitkat release comes out before going there (also if I decide to unlock/root, 4.2.2 is a better place to be). The only issue with waiting is the nag screen which comes up asking to update, and if you say no, you have to input a time for the next nag to appear. This is a T-Mobile version. Is there any simple way to have it stop asking to update?

elijahah
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry62 View Post
Given some of the issues I've seen listed regarding 4.4 on the Moto X, I've decided to wait until a point kitkat release comes out before going there (also if I decide to unlock/root, 4.2.2 is a better place to be). The only issue with waiting is the nag screen which comes up asking to update, and if you say no, you have to input a time for the next nag to appear. This is a T-Mobile version. Is there any simple way to have it stop asking to update?
Try disabling Moto OTA under apps.

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry62 View Post
Given some of the issues I've seen listed regarding 4.4 on the Moto X
What issues?

shadowrtype
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Disabling the OTA doesn't seem to prevent the nag for me. Is it done by force stop or some other method?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

larry62
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahah View Post
Try disabling Moto OTA under apps.
Same here. You can force stop it, but it restarts on it's own even without a reboot. Just gotta live with it as a daily nuisance.

What problems with 4.4? Some of the bugs are talked about across this forum. Things like USB OTG (at least file viewing; haven't tested other functions yet), and some issues supporting the ATT NVMO AIO come to mind. I'd just assume wait for 4.4.x where x>=2 and see if some of the bugs get worked out.

shadowrtype
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Would there be something that can be uninstalled or freezed with Titanium Backup to stop the nag?

elijahah
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I froze it with TB and it stopped the messages.

The Following User Says Thank You to elijahah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]