Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,230 Members 47,749 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] how to permanently customize setting and appsq

Tip us?

jonagpa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default [Q] how to permanently customize setting and appsq

I want to permanently customize setting and apps that stay even after factory resetting phone. so that when I*factory reset*my phone, it would revert back to*almost*factory settings, except with a few alterations. For example: some extra apps (maybe settings within those apps already selected), certain an!droid settings already selected (developer tools, unknown sources etc), superuser with permissions already granted for certain apps, basically things beyond the scope of just pre-installed apps.

I understand the phone would need to be rooted, I would want to keep the original rom with the above mentioned changes. Of course I can always make a backup and simply load it, but I want to know if it can be done through*factory reset. I only have experience rooting and loading custom roms (on many devices*, I've always done so since droid 1) but I have never made a custom rom, which from my understanding, is what I need to do to for something like this.*

Basically if you guys can tell me if I am in the right direction, completely off track and where should I go from here to make it happen.
------------------------------------------------------------
Custom DIY Dock for phones with cases or extended batteries

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,285
Factory reset is a reset. Not a partial reset.

Everything you're looking for is accomplished with a nandroid backup. Which also "resets" your phone to the point the backup was created.

But to directly answer you ....no, I've never heard of a way to modify a factory reset. 👍
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

samwathegreat
Old
(Last edited by samwathegreat; 5th June 2014 at 04:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,356

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonagpa View Post
I want to permanently customize setting and apps that stay even after factory resetting phone. so that when I*factory reset*my phone, it would revert back to*almost*factory settings, except with a few alterations. For example: some extra apps (maybe settings within those apps already selected), certain an!droid settings already selected (developer tools, unknown sources etc), superuser with permissions already granted for certain apps, basically things beyond the scope of just pre-installed apps.

I understand the phone would need to be rooted, I would want to keep the original rom with the above mentioned changes. Of course I can always make a backup and simply load it, but I want to know if it can be done through*factory reset. I only have experience rooting and loading custom roms (on many devices*, I've always done so since droid 1) but I have never made a custom rom, which from my understanding, is what I need to do to for something like this.*

Basically if you guys can tell me if I am in the right direction, completely off track and where should I go from here to make it happen.
That's exactly what you would need to do -- basically make your own stock-based rom. It will require an unlocked bootloader (not just root) - no way around this.

Good Luck

Edit: Keep in mind that OTA updates will absolutely not be possible. You would need to make a new stock-based rom built off the new SBF when a new updates comes out (assuming you want updates).

Your first step will be downloading and researching the SBF for your particular phone. Find the SBF files here:

sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

You'll need to find a guide on custom roms, and learn the procedures. Once you have succeeded and packaged up your rom with all the modifications you want, it will *absolutely* survive a "factory reset".

Additionally, KJ is correct. The 'nandroid' backup option in custom recovery makes this an extremely easy process (though it won't 'survive' a factory reset, it's easy enough to restore back assuming you saved the backup somewhere accessable). Building a ROM is considerably more involved. I personally wouldn't attempt it just for the convenience of having persistent apps and a few mods that survive resets.

Finally, if you are using Safestrap, or don't have a custom recovery, this is NOT possible.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT