Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Incoming Call Prompt Missing/Inaccessible

OP patrdris

7th July 2014, 06:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
I have an XT1053 running Android 4.4.3 (KXA21.12-L1.21) on T-Mobile.

I noticed a strange problem recently. Whenever I am using the phone (i.e. the screen is on), and I receive a call, the phone rings/vibrates as usual but the incoming call dialog does not pop up on top of whatever I am doing. The phone icon appears in the status bar as well, but all the on-screen navigation buttons disappear and the status bar becomes disabled. This means I can't answer the call, therefore I miss any call that comes in when the screen is already on. This also means that the phone is basically unusable while it rings. Incoming calls work normally when the screen is off or on the lockscreen.

I do run with Xposed and GravityBox, but I entirely disabled Xposed and the problem persisted, so I am wondering if this is an issue that came along with the 4.4.3 update. I can't remember being able to answer a call with the screen already being on on 4.4.2, but I also don't remember NOT being able to.

Does anyone else have this issue or know how to solve it?
7th July 2014, 07:02 AM   |  #2  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,790
 
2,029 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrdris

I have an XT1053 running Android 4.4.3 (KXA21.12-L1.21) on T-Mobile.

I noticed a strange problem recently. Whenever I am using the phone (i.e. the screen is on), and I receive a call, the phone rings/vibrates as usual but the incoming call dialog does not pop up on top of whatever I am doing. The phone icon appears in the status bar as well, but all the on-screen navigation buttons disappear and the status bar becomes disabled. This means I can't answer the call, therefore I miss any call that comes in when the screen is already on. This also means that the phone is basically unusable while it rings. Incoming calls work normally when the screen is off or on the lockscreen.

I do run with Xposed and GravityBox, but I entirely disabled Xposed and the problem persisted, so I am wondering if this is an issue that came along with the 4.4.3 update. I can't remember being able to answer a call with the screen already being on on 4.4.2, but I also don't remember NOT being able to.

Does anyone else have this issue or know how to solve it?

Follow the instructions in the "Return to Stock" thread to flash the entire 4.4.3 TMO SBF file. Something appears to have gotten corrupted - it has nothing to do with 4.4.3 for sure, and it definitely isn't normal.

After flashing the entire SBF (all the links you need are in the Return to Stock thread), you will need to re-flash TWRP to gain root access again, and re-install all your apps.

Good Luck

EDIT: Before you SBF back to stock 4.4.3, I have a suggestion:

Did you reboot after disabling Xposed? If you are using GravityBox, there is an option under "phone tweaks" called "non-intrusive incoming call" - this keeps incoming calls in the background when you are using the phone. Is this box checked??

If it is, and you did not reboot after disabling Xposed, this option could still be enabled...
Last edited by samwathegreat; 7th July 2014 at 07:07 AM.
7th July 2014, 02:36 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Follow the instructions in the "Return to Stock" thread to flash the entire 4.4.3 TMO SBF file. Something appears to have gotten corrupted - it has nothing to do with 4.4.3 for sure, and it definitely isn't normal.

After flashing the entire SBF (all the links you need are in the Return to Stock thread), you will need to re-flash TWRP to gain root access again, and re-install all your apps.

Good Luck

EDIT: Before you SBF back to stock 4.4.3, I have a suggestion:

Did you reboot after disabling Xposed? If you are using GravityBox, there is an option under "phone tweaks" called "non-intrusive incoming call" - this keeps incoming calls in the background when you are using the phone. Is this box checked??

If it is, and you did not reboot after disabling Xposed, this option could still be enabled...

No, this box is not checked, and I did reboot after disabling Xposed.

Is flashing the entire SBF necessary, do you think it'd be possible to just do a factory reset?
7th July 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 100
 
558 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Both a factory reset and flashing the SBF will result in wiping data and your installed apps. The SBF procedure would probably be the more thorough method.
7th July 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 7
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
I had the exact same problem on my Droid Maxx using xposed module and gravitybox. The only thing that fixed it for me was a full factory reset unfortunately.
7th July 2014, 05:38 PM   |  #6  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,790
 
2,029 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrdris

No, this box is not checked, and I did reboot after disabling Xposed.

Is flashing the entire SBF necessary, do you think it'd be possible to just do a factory reset?

I usually recommend trying factory reset first, but SBFing only takes a few minutes, and as @Groid says, it is much more 'thorough'.

SBFing back to stock can actually repair a corrupt filesystem. A factory reset can not - it simply erases your data without touching or replacing the contents of the other partitions.

Let us know which method works for you.
8th July 2014, 04:36 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
I did only a factory reset and the issue was resolved.
1st September 2014, 12:29 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Same problem with N5
I have the exactly same problem. I've got a Nexus 5 with 4.4.4 stock with root, custom kernel and xposed framework. I didn't find a so closed thread in N5 forums so that's why i'm posting here. I did find actually a N5 thread similar to this but it was more about a black screen while call incoming..
I'll give a try with some options before flashing a factory image and i'll update here.

However I think it's an android bug.. maybe a file system or something.. because other phones seems to have similar issues.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes