Post Reply

[Q] Install ROM without installing root

21st February 2014, 09:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
So I have an unlockable bootloader XT1058. Currently running 4.4.2 I wanted to root, but have read rooting includes downgrading and doing things I'm not too comfortable in doing (image flashing has claimed one of my phones before). So I was thinking, installing CWM or TWRP looks actually simpler than rooting the phone. I really don't care about losing data on the phone, but would like to do a nandroid before installing a custom ROM. So the question is: can I Install custom recovery, do a nandroid and flash custom ROM without first rooting?
21st February 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #2  
flashallthetime's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Richmond Hill
Thanks Meter: 1,286
 
3,755 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonAphis

So I have an unlockable bootloader XT1058. Currently running 4.4.2 I wanted to root, but have read rooting includes downgrading and doing things I'm not too comfortable in doing (image flashing has claimed one of my phones before). So I was thinking, installing CWM or TWRP looks actually simpler than rooting the phone. I really don't care about losing data on the phone, but would like to do a nandroid before installing a custom ROM. So the question is: can I Install custom recovery, do a nandroid and flash custom ROM without first rooting?

Return it for a developer edition moto , cause you're never ever going to be able the flash custom recovery with a locked boot loader

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
21st February 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashallthetime

Return it for a developer edition moto , cause you're never ever going to be able the flash custom recovery with a locked boot loader

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

Did you read at all?? I have an UNLOCKABLE bootloader.. Not locked...
21st February 2014, 10:12 PM   |  #4  
KJ's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 3,694
 
8,892 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonAphis

Did you read at all?? I have an UNLOCKABLE bootloader.. Not locked...

Nice temper ya got there.

Technically ...an unlockable boot loader would mean you have the only Moto x in existence that has a boot loader incapable of being locked. Ever. Lol

Also....did you read at all? If you mean to say your boot loader is unlocked, then flashing a custom recovery and rooting is the easiest thing in the world to do. And the info on doing it is all over the Moto x forums.......but.....you'd have to read. it's no different than doing it on a nexus. Just a hint.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...
21st February 2014, 10:13 PM   |  #5  
flashallthetime's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Richmond Hill
Thanks Meter: 1,286
 
3,755 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonAphis

Did you read at all?? I have an UNLOCKABLE bootloader.. Not locked...

You change it from locked to unlocked, so unlock it flash recovery and you can do what ever you want from there
Rooting is up to you but most people root , you don't need to
Yes I would suggest doing a nandroid prior to rooting of the stock system img

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
21st February 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112

Nice temper ya got there.

Technically ...an unlockable boot loader would mean you have the only Moto x in existence that has boot loader incapable of being locked.

Also....did you read at all? If you mean to say your boot loader is unlocked, then flashing a custom recovery and rooting is the easiest thing in the world to do. And the info on doing it is all over the Moto x forums.......but.....you'd have to read.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

Sorry for the response, I'm on the phone and didn't really measure my response.. The thing I wanted to know is if my bootloader is unlocked, can I install custom recovery and do a nandroid without first having root or is root necessary to install custom recovery and backup?
21st February 2014, 10:18 PM   |  #7  
gokart2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 275
 
884 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonAphis

Sorry for the response, I'm on the phone and didn't really measure my response.. The thing I wanted to know is if my bootloader is unlocked, can I install custom recovery and do a nandroid without first having root or is root necessary to install custom recovery and backup?

Root is not required. Unlock bootloader, mfastboot flash recovery, boot into recovery and you can nondroid back up.
21st February 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #8  
KJ's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 3,694
 
8,892 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonAphis

Sorry for the response, I'm on the phone and didn't really measure my response.. The thing I wanted to know is if my bootloader is unlocked, can I install custom recovery and do a nandroid without first having root or is root necessary to install custom recovery and backup?

Never have I flashed a custom recovery and not immediately rooted after. So try it. It'll work or it won't. LOL

Why not root? Its simple. Twrp will do it for you even.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...
21st February 2014, 10:21 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart2

Root is not required. Unlock bootloader, mfastboot flash recovery, boot into recovery and you can nondroid back up.

OK thanks. I just read somewhere that to do the nandroid you had to have root since you could not access certain directories... I've had Nexus phones for the last 3 phones so I'm not used to all this knieving and shady proceedings to install root and ROMs
21st February 2014, 10:23 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112

Never have I flashed a custom recovery and not immediately rooted after. So try it. It'll work or it won't. LOL

Why not root? Its simple. Twrp will do it for you even.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

So the slapmymoto thing is just for those people with locked bootloader???

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto X Q&A by ThreadRank