Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,248 Members 37,762 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Installing TWRP on MotoX 4.4.2

Tip us?

chuck4100
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Installing TWRP on MotoX 4.4.2

hello, I have been searching relentlessly for a real answer to this and have not found clear answers that I believe apply.
I wanted to install TWRP on my retail verizon Moto X running 4.4.2 but I get a message:
Code:
sending 'recovery' (9854 KB)
OKAY [  0.860s]
writing 'recovery'...
Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 1.260s
In my searches, i saw this message being related to a locked bootloader. The part that gets me is that I unlocked the boot loader when using JCase slapmymoto v1.0 root method. I saw that some 4.4.2 OTA was supposed re-lock the bootloader, but the last I checked, right after rooting, it was still coming back as unlocked and I have not done any updates since rooting.
Any answers on this would be appreciated to clear up my noobness.
Also, I can't remember or find again, the adb/fastboot command for checking the bootloader, if I had that to tell me whether my BL got re-locked I could just go on that.

Thanks in advance!

Schaweet
Old
Thanks Meter 159
Slapmymoto does not unlock your bootloader. You can't unlock the bootloader on a retail verizon Moto X. You either have to have the Dev Edition or you can try that Chinese site.

Either way, the only way to do it is to use fastboot oem unlock (unlock code). If you never did that, then you didn't ever unlock.

That said, you can't install TWRP on your phone unless you use that Chinese site to unlock your bootloader. There is a thread on it.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck4100 View Post
hello, I have been searching relentlessly for a real answer to this and have not found clear answers that I believe apply.
I wanted to install TWRP on my retail verizon Moto X running 4.4.2 but I get a message:
Code:
sending 'recovery' (9854 KB)
OKAY [  0.860s]
writing 'recovery'...
Preflash validation failed
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 1.260s
In my searches, i saw this message being related to a locked bootloader. The part that gets me is that I unlocked the boot loader when using JCase slapmymoto v1.0 root method. I saw that some 4.4.2 OTA was supposed re-lock the bootloader, but the last I checked, right after rooting, it was still coming back as unlocked and I have not done any updates since rooting.
Any answers on this would be appreciated to clear up my noobness.
Also, I can't remember or find again, the adb/fastboot command for checking the bootloader, if I had that to tell me whether my BL got re-locked I could just go on that.

Thanks in advance!
The above poster is correct jcase method is not to unlock your bootloader it is just to root your phone and then another method is to disable write protect.

in order to install TWRP you must unlock your bootloader and in order to do that you need to go here and see if your phone is able to have its bootloader unlocked or not. if you want to find out follow the link below.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ail/a_id/87215

if your phone can not unlock its bootloader then the closeest thing to TWRp you can use is Safestrap that is if they have ported it over to 4.4.2 im not sure if they have yet or not but below is the link to it for you to check out.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/104161-re...65-2013-11-13/

hope this helps and here is a link to my thread with guides on how to do most things on the moto X

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...uides-t2603358
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |

chuck4100
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hmm, guess i misunderstood what i was doing. The write protect sounds right, guess I mistook that for a bootloader unlock workaround.

Thx for the replies.

patspdaphone
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I do not believe that I have Dev Edition. I bought my motoX earlier this year, directly from Motorola's website and specified that it was for T-Mobile's network.
All I did was to go online and requested a bootloader unlocking from MotoX.
The phone is now unlocked with TWRP and rooted.
So I am not sure that it cannot be done.

Pat

Dark9781
Old
Thanks Meter 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by patspdaphone View Post
I do not believe that I have Dev Edition. I bought my motoX earlier this year, directly from Motorola's website and specified that it was for T-Mobile's network.
All I did was to go online and requested a bootloader unlocking from MotoX.
The phone is now unlocked with TWRP and rooted.
So I am not sure that it cannot be done.

Pat
Anyone that bought the AT&T or Verizon retail variants cannot get unlock codes through Motorola due to the carrier not allowing unlocked bootloaders. However, codes can be obtained through a third party without Moto's or AT&T/Verizon knowledge.

Sent from my Moto X.
Need Cloud storage? Try dropbox today. Just click on the link below to get started.
Dropbox
--------------------------------------------------------------
Can you see my memories?

chuck4100
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
One more semi-related question since I don't want to make another thread just for this....
I thought I saw somewhere that the 4.4.2 OTA will re-lock the bootloader. Is this to mean that if I bought a code and unlocked the bootloader, it would re-lock if I continued with 4.4.2 or updated to 4.4.3?

southern87
Old
Thanks Meter 96
No it won't if the bootloader loader is unlocked. If you have a locked bootloader and you are rooted with the write protection disabled. You will at least lose the write protection. I am locked and rooted on 4.4.2. I used supersu pro ota survival and kept root, but that's not guaranteed

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app
Device: Moto Z
ROM: Stock Rooted
Recovery:
Kernel: Stock
Device: HTC One (Killed by a wall)
ROM: GPE Converted
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: Stock
Device: HTC Evo 3D (Died in Cuba)
ROM: MeanRom
Recovery: TWRP