5,597,354 Members 32,774 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Two Instances of LocationServices?

Tip us?

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Default Two Instances of LocationServices?

Can someone who is rooted stock check to see if there are two of these, both labeled version 1.0, but one weighing in at 120KB, and the other at 136KB?

I'm seeing two under Settings>Location, and am wondering if this is what's causing my GPS lock issues.

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1630
In titanium backup I also have 2. One is 120kb, but the other is only 4kb...And has way more permissions. Strange. But my gps works fine. Other than using gps, mine is always off.

Not sure what you mean about settings/location tho... That screen is normal. No double anything.

Weird tho.

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone.....

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Odd indeed. Do you see two instances in settings>apps>all?

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1630
Yup, 120kb and 4kb still

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

I tried to google this, but using location as a google search term pretty much throws way to much unrelated stuff at you.

Couldn't find anything about this. Lol

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

K... If you look at the details of the two.... One seems generic and has a one line description. (my 120kb one) and the other lists all these things it is used for... A bunch of stuff. That's my 4kb one.

I'm on 4.2.2 by the way. I'm thinking one is specifically for maps maybe, and the other is for anything else? Just a wild guess.

Both of mine have 0kb for data. I think I haven't used it at all since I factory reset a few weeks ago.

Actually, looking again... The one listed 2nd in my list in Tb looks like it may be all Motorola related.

Perhaps one is Motorolas version, made for Motorola apps... And the other is probably the stock google one. That's my official guess now. Lol

gigabyte77
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have a LG G2 (D800) and I have two instances of LocationServices in Apps\All. They are both 4Kb in size though. I found your post while trying to figure out why there were two of them.

I am on 4.2.2 also so I am wondering if you are on AT&T. This could be an AT&T implementation of LocationServices (possibly to support their battery eating Carrier IQ service).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

[/COLOR]K... If you look at the details of the two.... One seems generic and has a one line description. (my 120kb one) and the other lists all these things it is used for... A bunch of stuff. That's my 4kb one.

I'm on 4.2.2 by the way. I'm thinking one is specifically for maps maybe, and the other is for anything else? Just a wild guess.

Both of mine have 0kb for data. I think I haven't used it at all since I factory reset a few weeks ago.

Actually, looking again... The one listed 2nd in my list in Tb looks like it may be all Motorola related.

Perhaps one is Motorolas version, made for Motorola apps... And the other is probably the stock google one. That's my official guess now. Lol

Solutions Etcetera
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigabyte77 View Post
I have a LG G2 (D800) and I have two instances of LocationServices in Apps\All. They are both 4Kb in size though. I found your post while trying to figure out why there were two of them.

I am on 4.2.2 also so I am wondering if you are on AT&T. This could be an AT&T implementation of LocationServices (possibly to support their battery eating Carrier IQ service).
I am on T-Mobile with stock 4.4. Guessing these are both Moto X binaries as stock Android 4.4.2 on my Nexus 4 has neither of them.

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1630
I'm 4.2.2 on a Rogers phone...on telus. So don't think its a carrier thing.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...