5,606,409 Members 33,601 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS] Unlocking and Rooting a Dev Ed Moto X Running Kit Kat

Tip us?

KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 15th April 2014 at 08:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levistras View Post
I only tried relock after finding your post that alluded to the fact that it was the unlock process that removed the write protection. I was thinking that if I would unlock again.. perhaps I would be unlocked without write protection this time.

I will try the process you suggest here and let you know! (though I have a Rogers Moto X, not an actual Dev Edition... interested to see what this flash will do)
Remember... you want to flash the SBF that is the same ROM version as what is on your phone. If you have 4.4, get the 4.4 SBF. If you have 4.4.2 on your phone, get the 4.4.2 SBF. Don't downgrade in the process!!!

And while my post might have alluded to that the process of unlocking disabled write protection... I can't say at what part. Just that once unlocked WP is disabled. And I did NOT say that re-locking the bootloader will re-enable write protection (that is something I haven't tested).

I'm in a very uncomfortable position right now.. 1. I don't know exactly what you did, or why. 2. I don't know if you started out locked and unrooted, were trying to root and got lost along the way, or what. 3. I don't know if you were unlocked and just experimenting to see if re-locking enabled write protection or what.

I don't want to suggest the wrong things.. but at this point, following the moto process to flash and relock is the safest bet.
aka Mark_Venture

Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Levistras
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
Remember... you want to flash the SBF that is the same ROM version as what is on your phone. If you have 4.4, get the 4.4 SBF. If you have 4.4.2 on your phone, get the 4.4.2 SBF. Don't downgrade in the process!!!

And while my post might have alluded to that the process of unlocking disabled write protection... I can't say at what part. Just that once unlocked WP is disabled. And I did NOT say that re-locking the bootloader will re-enable write protection (that is something I haven't tested).

I'm in a very uncomfortable position right now.. 1. I don't know exactly what you did, or why. 2. I don't know if you started out locked and unrooted, were trying to root and got lost along the way, or what. 3. I don't know if you were unlocked and just experimenting to see if re-locking enabled write protection or what.

I don't want to suggest the wrong things.. but at this point, following the moto process to flash and relock is the safest bet.
Well once upon a time I was locked and not rooted, this was back in the 4.2 days.

When 4.4.2 came out, there was a method released to root and maintain your root after performing the upgrade. (Silly me, I didn't really need this, because I'm unlocked I can TWRP and re-root from there.. but anyway)..

I followed this process to get into the 4.4 world with root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...pnomo-t2538896

And that's pretty much it... this left me in a state where I have 4.4.2, I am rooted, unlocked, with TWRP bootloader and SuperSU binary installed. But my "adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect" still returns 0.

If there is no magical command I can run with root permission to turn off that write_protect option... my next thought was to try to revert to a "locked" state and then unlock again, but only because you insinuated that part of the unlock process might remove my write protection.

In either case, I'm downloading the 4.4.2 RSD Lite file for the Rogers device, I will try a full flash back to that... and see where that leaves me. In any case, I should easily be able to re-TWRP and Root, so worst case will be that it just leaves me in the same spot I'm in now.

(My goal here is to be able to use things like Xposed that modify the system partition. Right now my only way to use these is to bundle up any changes they try to make to the /system partition and apply through through a flashable ZIP in TWRP (no write protection while in TWRP).)

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Well once upon a time I was locked and not rooted, this was back in the 4.2 days.

When 4.4.2 came out, there was a method released to root and maintain your root after performing the upgrade. (Silly me, I didn't really need this, because I'm unlocked I can TWRP and re-root from there.. but anyway)..

I followed this process to get into the 4.4 world with root: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...pnomo-t2538896

And that's pretty much it... this left me in a state where I have 4.4.2, I am rooted, unlocked, with TWRP bootloader and SuperSU binary installed. But my "adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect" still returns 0.

If there is no magical command I can run with root permission to turn off that write_protect option... my next thought was to try to revert to a "locked" state and then unlock again, but only because you insinuated that part of the unlock process might remove my write protection.

In either case, I'm downloading the 4.4.2 RSD Lite file for the Rogers device, I will try a full flash back to that... and see where that leaves me. In any case, I should easily be able to re-TWRP and Root, so worst case will be that it just leaves me in the same spot I'm in now.

(My goal here is to be able to use things like Xposed that modify the system partition. Right now my only way to use these is to bundle up any changes they try to make to the /system partition and apply through through a flashable ZIP in TWRP (no write protection while in TWRP).)
Unfortunately not good news...

Applied the SBF for Rogers 4.4.2. Was presented with a fresh device as far as I could tell, but upon going back to the bootloader, I'm still "UNLOCKED" (possibly expected)... so I tried fastboot oem lock begin, then fastboot oem lock, again on screen it said "LOCKED!" after 30 seconds, but upon reboot my bootloader still says unlocked.

I've reflashed TWRP and regained root... but I'm back where I started.

4.4.2, with TWRP, with root, but write protection is still enabled.

KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 15th April 2014 at 09:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 381
Quote:
Unfortunately not good news...

Applied the SBF for Rogers 4.4.2. Was presented with a fresh device as far as I could tell, but upon going back to the bootloader, I'm still "UNLOCKED" (possibly expected)... so I tried fastboot oem lock begin, then fastboot oem lock, again on screen it said "LOCKED!" after 30 seconds, but upon reboot my bootloader still says unlocked.

I've reflashed TWRP and regained root... but I'm back where I started.

4.4.2, with TWRP, with root, but write protection is still enabled.
did you follow the instructions EXACTLY? unzip the SBF, open its XML, use mFASTBOOT to flash each part as the XML says, IMMEDIATELY followed by fastboot oem lock?

and actually, looking at the moto instructions I copied... after fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn it tells you to fastboot reboot.. DON'T... try the fasboot oem lock right there.

If that doesn't work... pop over to the thread about RELOCKING -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...r-vzw-t2571786 and post over there... see if you get help. You'll have to be in a proper locked state to properly unlock.
aka Mark_Venture

Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-