5,594,151 Members 46,863 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Isn't the screen way too saturated?

Tip us?

DAddYE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 337
Default Isn't the screen way too saturated?

As the subject. Is that my impression or something well known? Is there an app/setting to make it more natural?

Thanks!!!

PS. I'm on stock kit Kat.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Exel
Old
Thanks Meter 1302
Looks fine if you ask me.

I'd rather have it more saturated than have it looked washed out.
||Phone: Google Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
||Additional Memory: None
||ROM: Android 4.4 KitKat
||Kernel: Nexus 5 Faux Kernel

Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7 16GB||
Additional Memory: None||
ROM: CM10.2 Nightlies||
Kernel: Stock Tweaked||

someguyatx
Old
Thanks Meter 344
Its different compared to GS4 or iPhone but not bad. Considering I regularly get 3 hours screen time on a 24+ hour cycle I have no complaints.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1601
Compared to my S2, the screen colours and black are amazing. Hard to even look at my s2 now.

But.... Some can find fault in anything somehow. Lol

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone.....
The Following User Says Thank You to kj2112 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
The screens and saturation levels do vary a little phone to phone. I have played with 3 Moto X's quite a bit now and each have been different. My first one isn't over saturated at all, the screen on it has a little more yellow to it. The other two have more of a blue tint and show more saturation. The whites do look better on the second two but the first is easier to look at in the dark.

teiglin
Old
Thanks Meter 117

DONATE TO ME
I don't think there is any way to adjust it or even change the DNIe mode like Samsung allows. People wrote custom kernels for the Nexus 4 to allow color adjustment but there aren't nearly as many devs working on the Moto X, so you're probably stuck with what you get. I don't imagine that they do any factory calibration to speak of, so of course it will vary greatly between panels.

Unfortunately, oversaturated is the new properly calibrated. The problem is that it has a better off-the-shelf look when people who are clueless are comparing models in the store--hold a Moto X or GS4 up next to an iPhone or Nexus 5 and the colors "pop" more, which seems to be more appealing to the average consumer than the more muted appearance of a display with proper sRGB calibration.
The Following User Says Thank You to teiglin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DAddYE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 337
Cool. Thanks guys. In on a xperia z1 and the display is amazing. So using the motox is very different. But yep I should be used to. Another thing I noticed is that is way less bright under the sun. Again I think is just a calibration thing since we if you switch to manual you can increase it much more than the way our light sensor detect it.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

marvin02
Old
Thanks Meter 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAddYE View Post
Cool. Thanks guys. In on a xperia z1 and the display is amazing. So using the motox is very different. But yep I should be used to. Another thing I noticed is that is way less bright under the sun. Again I think is just a calibration thing since we if you switch to manual you can increase it much more than the way our light sensor detect it.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
You can try the app Lux to control auto brightness and Screen Adjuster to try to correct the colors.
Never ask before searching!
Current Devices: Moto X GSM Dev Edition, LG Gpad 8.3
Retired Devices:
AT&T LG Optimus G, At&T Galaxy Skyrocket, Vizio VTAB1008, Dell Venue, Dell Streak, Moto Flipside, Moto Backflip, Samsung Eternity

The Following User Says Thank You to marvin02 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]