5,597,762 Members 36,538 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Anyone else have this issue getting the no service icon?

Tip us?

bmsimon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Anyone else have this issue getting the no service icon?

I bought the unlocked GSM Moto X that is rooted and has the bootloader unlocked. ROM is stock 4.4 Kitkat Every time after I shut the phone off, it doesn't have any service when it turns back on. I usually have to shut it off and turn it on a few times and mess with the SIM card. Also, the wi-fi won't turn on, either. It just gets stuck on the 'turning on' message but never actually turns on. It kind of seems like the phone just gets stuck in airplane mode and won't come out of it or something.

The biggest potential problem is that I cut a micro SIM card down to a nano SIM to fit in the Moto X. I use my phone on Straight Talk and they don't have a nano SIM yet. But I don't think the cut SIM card is the issue. The phone came with some T-Mobile SIM card. Even though it doesn't have any service from T-Mobile associated with it, when I put the T-Mobile SIM in, it will show that there is service and wi-fi will work. However, after the phone shuts off and I put the T-Mobile SIM in, it still says no service. Plus, the my cut Straight Talk SIM works perfectly fine until the phone shuts off.

Even though it would make sense that cutting my SIM card would cause this problem, I really don't think that's the case. It seems like it's more of a software issue at this point. Does anyone else have this problem or have any insight?

District
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Consider installing the T-Mobile SIM, calling your carrier, asking to activate a new cell phone, and read them the SIM number (it's also on the box's label).

bmsimon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by District View Post
Consider installing the T-Mobile SIM, calling your carrier, asking to activate a new cell phone, and read them the SIM number (it's also on the box's label).
The problem is that I unlocked the booloader and voided my warranty. So there will be no new phone for me. Plus, I bought it straight from Motorola through the Moto Maker

District
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsimon View Post
The problem is that I unlocked the booloader and voided my warranty. So there will be no new phone for me. Plus, I bought it straight from Motorola through the Moto Maker
Sorry, I said it poorly. Try calling your Carrier, and telling them you wish to activate a new phone on your account. The support person might be able to take the SIM number, you recieved on the SIM that came with your Moto X, and activate that SIM to your account\phone number.