Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Issue with rooting using RockMyMoto/SlapMyMoto

Device: Moto X on Verizon

Issue: I'm seeing the following message when attempting to use RockMyMoto
"System is not write protected... Executing step 3."

Has anyone found a way around this yet?

Background: My phone was on the 4.2.2 camera update (unrooted). I wanted to move to 4.4 with root and was following the steps the JCase posted for rooting using RockMyMoto, then removing write protect using MotoWPNoMo, then using SlapMyMoto. I got to the SlapMyMoto steps, and did something out of order, so I restored back to 4.2.2 to try to start over.

Now, when I try to root using RockMyMoto, I get the message above "System is not write protected... Executing step 3." From what I've read, this is likely due to write protect already being disabled (from my previous run through the steps), and the scripting is thinking I'm further along then I really am.

doubledown22
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Well, I found this post here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=946

which says:
Quote:
To run MotoWPNoMo you need to be rooted. Since you are already rooted there is no need for SlapMyMoto. However, if you plan to go to 4.4 you will need to flash back to stock 4.2.2 camera update and then run SlapMyMoto
So I attempted to just use SlapMyMoto after flashing back to 4.2.2 (since I had already went thru disabled write protect earlier). I got to the final step, step 4, where you're instructed to run some adb shell commands
Quote:
adb shell
cp /sdcard/install.sh /data/local/tmp/install.sh
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/install.sh
echo "/data/local/tmp/install.sh" > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper
and then toggle bluetooth and wait for it to reboot. But it never rebooted on its own after toggling bluetooth. I waited 10 min or so, and just rebooted it on my own. And I appear to have root now on 4.4 according to root checker

JJHunterx
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown22 View Post
Device: Moto X on Verizon

Issue: I'm seeing the following message when attempting to use RockMyMoto
"System is not write protected... Executing step 3."

Has anyone found a way around this yet?

Background: My phone was on the 4.2.2 camera update (unrooted). I wanted to move to 4.4 with root and was following the steps the JCase posted for rooting using RockMyMoto, then removing write protect using MotoWPNoMo, then using SlapMyMoto. I got to the SlapMyMoto steps, and did something out of order, so I restored back to 4.2.2 to try to start over.

Now, when I try to root using RockMyMoto, I get the message above "System is not write protected... Executing step 3." From what I've read, this is likely due to write protect already being disabled (from my previous run through the steps), and the scripting is thinking I'm further along then I really am.
I just rooted my Moto x yesterday and I remember it saying that when using rockmymoto (even though it was still write protected). Basically the procedure is flash 4.2.2, rockmymoto, After rooted, us MotoWPnoMo, use the command to make sure it is not write protected (command returns 0), reflash 4.2.2, run slapmymoto all the way through, install supersu, update and you should be good to go.