XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kit kat update broke Google now hotword detection on moto x

Tip us?

wilmah1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Kit kat update broke Google now hotword detection on moto x

I updated my Moto X to kit kat yesterday and now my hotword detection doesn't work on the home screen or within Google now. I have the nexus 5 home launcher installed and fear it could be part of the issue, but it worked fine in jelly bean so I don't know why it wouldn't work here.

Anyone else having this issue?

MikeyNick
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmah1 View Post
I updated my Moto X to kit kat yesterday and now my hotword detection doesn't work on the home screen or within Google now. I have the nexus 5 home launcher installed and fear it could be part of the issue, but it worked fine in jelly bean so I don't know why it wouldn't work here.

I can safely say it's not the new home launcher. I've been running that for awhile now and both the motorola detection and the google detection work fine (i.e., I can say "okay google now" at any time, or say "okay google" when the device is already woken.)

I haven't done the kit kat upgrade though

sarshadd
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:

If it isn't, language needs to be set to US english.

wilmah1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarshadd View Post
If it isn't, language needs to be set to US english.
It is set to English and I tried changing it and changing back and had no luck.

(muse)ic
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
It is set to English and I tried changing it and changing back and had no luck.
I'm having the same problem.

"Ok google now" works as it should.

But when in google now, saying "ok google" does not activate voice control...very strange.

Dark9781
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by (muse)ic View Post
I'm having the same problem.

"Ok google now" works as it should.

But when in google now, saying "ok google" does not activate voice control...very strange.

It seems that Moto may have deactivated this on purpose to prevent it from interfering with the Touchless Control feature.
Need Cloud storage? Try dropbox today. Just click on the link below to get started.
Dropbox
--------------------------------------------------------------
Can you see my memories?

KidCuda
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Same thing, it was working shortly after the update I believe.

Sent from my Moto X [XT1060] using Tapatalk Pro

Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark9781 View Post
It seems that Moto may have deactivated this on purpose to prevent it from interfering with the Touchless Control feature.
seems unlikely. i can't seem to get mine to work either, even though Google Now settings say to listen for "Google".

Orsini
Old
(Last edited by Orsini; 21st November 2013 at 09:14 PM.) Reason: better explanation
Thanks Meter 5
Select the Auto-Update tab from the top and choose one of the auto-update options (we recommend leaving it on “over WiFi-only”). After that, scoot over to the All tab and find English (US). You’ll notice it already says “pre-installed”. Don’t listen to it. Select English (US) anyway. From there, jump to the Installed tab and press “English (US)” where you’ll be asked to download the latest version (version 28 at the time of writing). Hit “Download” and the updated version will be downloaded and installed.

After it’s finished downloading, press the home button where you’ll notice “Ok Google” will now be displayed inside the Google Search widget. Simply speak that phrase whenever you’re on your homescreen to perform a Google Search or voice actions. That’s it. Was relatively painless, ri

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Orsini For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rlrhk
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Something is definitely broken. The image I included shows Android 4.4 and Android 4.2.2 differences. 4.4 is missing the "Ok" and maybe that is why it doesn't work? It worked fine before and now doesn't. English is my set language and that doesn't fix the problem.

just my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Difference.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	2407015  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlrhk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]