XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

lost pictures

Tip us?

jra89027
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default lost pictures

im on 4.4 stock, non rooted, i deleted some pictures in the gallery app by accident. is there anything i can do to get themh as back? all the apps such as disk digger are for rooted phones. i am extremely confused when it comes to rooting 4.4 and i know you have to revert back to 4.2.2 and im afraid that will overwrite that data. without usb mass storage mode, i cant do a scan on the computer. please help.

shkrmkr
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra89027 View Post
im on 4.4 stock, non rooted, i deleted some pictures in the gallery app by accident. is there anything i can do to get themh as back? all the apps such as disk digger are for rooted phones. i am extremely confused when it comes to rooting 4.4 and i know you have to revert back to 4.2.2 and im afraid that will overwrite that data. without usb mass storage mode, i cant do a scan on the computer. please help.
Chances are, they are probably gone forever. BUT, you could try these apps:

hxxps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bero.sdrescan

hxxps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.baloota.dumpster

I've seen reports of lost pictures coming back after a rescan. You could also check the .thumbnails folder to see if they are there, but they won't be the full-res photos from your camera folder. another spot to check is /sdcard/DCIM/Camera/cache. Do this on your computer or with a file browser on your phone such as Astro. Helium is a good app that doesn't require root to back up your stuff. I'd recommend using a backup program and set up an online storage solution using google+ or dropbox to automatically upload new photos you take.

A last resort, you could try using your PC to recover them as well using hxxp://www.recovering-deleted-files.net/android-data-recovery. I haven't used this myself and don't know if it's free or not, but there's a youtube video out there showing how it works. There's also another program called Recuva that you could try.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.