Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,273 Members 44,420 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dragon Assistant compatible? is X a 2 yr phone?

Tip us?

MaggiesStreak
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Sign [Q] Dragon Assistant compatible? is X a 2 yr phone?

Does the Nuance Dragon Assistant work with the Moto X? Are we locked into using the Google Now if we want to talk with the X? Google is awesome, but Nuance has been working with speech recognition a long time. And they have programs out for Windows PCs. I know talking to a Jarvis is still a distant future. Competition is important, right?

Does Moto X have the right stuff to be competitive for 2 years? I've heard the stats aren't as impressive as was originally expected. I've also heard that stats alone aren't what makes the phone set apart from the pack. I'm not that interested in option to change up the designs. Talking to the phone is amazing, but if Dragon Assistant isn't on board then I'll reconsider.

AT&T: With a 2 year extension of contract, we're paying $200, plus some tax, upgrade/activation fee, and case. So, let's round up to $300. $300 plus the ongoing price of the month to month service. Am I going to be happy with the Moto X's performance with the needs upcoming apps will have?

I am with AT&T and might move from the Dell Streak 5. I love Dell Streak, but if I use it everyday I'll break that big screen. Which is why I'm not a big fan of the Galaxy s4 or even the HTC One. I can keep the Streak and swap SIM cards with the smaller Moto X as needed.

Love to hear your thoughts.
Streak 5. Rooted with Gingerbreak. No Longer on Stock! Used StreakMod to flash DSC Traveller 2.3.4 (366) . AT&T.

I'm still a noob. I just follow the directions and pick up the jargon little by little.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaggiesStreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

terabyte128
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I can't really speak for 2-year performance, but it's super fast and buttery right now. More so than other, higher-specced phones, which are bogged down by stuff like touchwiz. Motorola did a really nice job with the optimizations. Dragon dictation does work but afaik you can't use it with touchless controls.

Also, it feels really nice in the hand.

jhnl33
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Thanks to your post, I just discovered a completely new way to talk to my phone! I just installed Dragon and turned on the "listen in background" mode. Since the microphones are always on, dragon will turn on even when the screen is off!!! This is pretty awesome!

Thanks for the great find!

MaggiesStreak
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by terabyte128 View Post
I can't really speak for 2-year performance, but it's super fast and buttery right now. More so than other, higher-specced phones, which are bogged down by stuff like touchwiz. Motorola did a really nice job with the optimizations. Dragon dictation does work but afaik you can't use it with touchless controls.

Also, it feels really nice in the hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnl33 View Post
Thanks to your post, I just discovered a completely new way to talk to my phone! I just installed Dragon and turned on the "listen in background" mode. Since the microphones are always on, dragon will turn on even when the screen is off!!! This is pretty awesome!

Thanks for the great find!
Alright....I'm getting some mixed messages here. "Can't use it with touchless controls"? That sucks! But wait...."dragon will turn on even when the screen is off!!!" ??

buttery..
Streak 5. Rooted with Gingerbreak. No Longer on Stock! Used StreakMod to flash DSC Traveller 2.3.4 (366) . AT&T.

I'm still a noob. I just follow the directions and pick up the jargon little by little.

terabyte128
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Sorry, I didn't realize that Dragon had its own "listen in background" mode. So you can't use it instead of google now for the "ok google now" thing, but you can use dragon's own mode to activate it touchlessly.

jhnl33
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggiesStreak View Post
Alright....I'm getting some mixed messages here. "Can't use it with touchless controls"? That sucks! But wait...."dragon will turn on even when the screen is off!!!" ??

buttery..
Yeah! I'm playing around with it now! I customized the wake-up phrase to be "Yo google" and have the "background wake-up" option ticked. I don't know about other phones, but I presume because the Moto X has always on mics, having Dragon using the mics all the time isn't much of a battery drain. It is true that you can't use it in conjunction with touchless controls, but in all honesty, moto's touchless controls aren't that great. Dragon is much more accurate and you can customize the key phrase!

Also, regarding your previous concerns; I really recommend the moto x. It's really the smoothest phone on the market right now and with google at the head, I can guarantee that updates will keep the Moto running smooth as it is right now. I mentioned that touchless controls were kind of meh (they trigger quite a bit even without saying "ok google now"), but active notifications are really the deal sealer here. I honestly can't live without active notifications anymore; it's just incredibly convenient.

terabyte128
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Active notifications are amazing, hopefully Moto will add some improvements to the touchless controls with future updates

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4
I'm learning the ropes of Android hacking!

Sign up for Dropbox with this link and we'll both get 500MB of free space! http://db.tt/a3jj3RK

MaggiesStreak
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by terabyte128 View Post
Active notifications are amazing, hopefully Moto will add some improvements to the touchless controls with future updates

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4
Alright..you two are good salespeople. I'll work on scrounging up the $600 or so.
I just finished a contract with AT&T, and I don't think I'm interested in signing another contract. My lifestyle for the next year will provide me with plenty of wifi to supplement the 2G cap pre-paid AT&T allows @$60/month. And the other deal in town is StraightTalk @$45/month also with a 2G cap, even though they say its unlimited.

I hear the Moto X price is going to drop some. I hope that Iphone C(heap) phone sells like hotcakes and the Moto X price rolls back.

Thank you for the follow up on the Dragon bit. I even thought about calling Naunce Dragon to ask them.

anotherfiz
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Does it keep the phone awake? Or is this using the benefits of the NLP?

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

Does it keep the phone awake? Or is this using the benefits of the NLP?

rubiksmoose
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I'm still guessing that the Dragon always-listening mode takes up a lot of battery as it would on a "normal" phone. tl;dr I don't think it takes advantage of X's X8 always listening chip.

The Following User Says Thank You to rubiksmoose For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
assistant, contract, dragon, moto x