Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 52,604 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto Maker versus Developer Edition (VZW)

Tip us?

DogzOfWar
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsage View Post
Hi there - I have a DE on the way and my wife has a Moto Maker on the way. What's the best way to restore app data on an MM device?
Here is my article in how to restore without root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2604423

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DogzOfWar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyNick View Post
t's not challenging, just time consuming. Why spend an hour or two doing that when I could spend 10 minutes flashing SU in twrp?
If it takes "you" an hour or two to root this phone, it's probably best that "you" not attempt it yourself. It's as simple as downloading a few files, reading some instructions, then typing them in letter for letter.

If you have enough time to browse and post on this forum, you have enough time to root this device. Took me all of 15 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsage View Post
Hi there - I have a DE on the way and my wife has a Moto Maker on the way. What's the best way to restore app data on an MM device?
Moto Migrate.

rsage
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
Moto Migrate.
As far as I know, MM only migrates photos, videos, texts, calls, etc., but not app data like saved games, shared preferences, etc. I could be wrong, haven't tried it

MikeyNick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhizzat View Post
If it takes "you" an hour or two to root this phone, it's probably best that "you" not attempt it yourself. It's as simple as downloading a few files, reading some instructions, then typing them in letter for letter.

If you have enough time to browse and post on this forum, you have enough time to root this device. Took me all of 15 mins.
Unless "you" simply look at commands and then type them, i don't think that's a 15 minute process. I think it is safe to assume that a majority of people like to understand the risk of a new root exploit. You're telling me when the telnet exploit came out for the very first time, it took you 15 minutes? I for one like to read about the potential risks, how the exploit works (best to stay informed, eh?), others' experiences with it thus far, etc. I don't think that's an atypical pattern. Yea, now that I've read about it and already know it, I can brush through a re-root quite quickly, but unless you're just going into a blind I don't think running a new exploit is a 15 minute process in most cases.

Sorry if that sounded a little disgruntled. I just couldn't help but get a "you don't seem good enough to muss about with your phone" vibe from that. Perhaps I should have been a little more particular, and mentioned that i was thinking more along the lines of the first time you run a new root exploit.

sonofevil77
Old
Thanks Meter 123
I battled myself on this for a while and ended up going with the dev edition. I couldn't decide on what color scheme I wanted so I said f it and went dev.

Note 2 N3BULIZED!
The Following User Says Thank You to sonofevil77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DogzOfWar
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofevil77 View Post
I battled myself on this for a while and ended up going with the dev edition. I couldn't decide on what color scheme I wanted so I said f it and went dev.

Note 2 N3BULIZED!
You're going to be a happy camper

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MikeyNick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Haven't ordered yet, and now maybe reconsidering all together after the lenovo news.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyNick View Post
Haven't ordered yet, and now maybe reconsidering all together after the lenovo news.
The Lenovo deal wouldn't stop me. I went through the IBM PC division sold to Lenovo, and have been using Thinkpads since about 1995. They haven't screwed up the Thinkpads after all this time, so I'm hopeful they don't screw up the Moto devices.

MikeyNick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Yea, I've been doing a lot of reading on it. Strong arguments on both sides. Either way, I suppose even if they do muss about with stuff, we'll definitely get 4.4.2. Who knows if future updates might have some bloat on them, or how long it'll take to get them. But with the developer edition, I guess that's much less of a concern. Plus, considering how popular this phone has been, it's hard to believe anyone would want to drop good support for it.

Still have till the third to decide, since that's when my code is valid through XD