[Q] Moto X for $1 and Keep Unlimited Data?

Search This thread

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
Okay so a local Verizon authorized retailer is selling 16GB Moto X for $1 for new customers and for existing Verizon customers who are upgrade ready. I asked the guy if there were any catches, how it works with Verizon and all with future upgrades, he said there's no strings, they just upgrade through Verizon and I purchase the device from him instead of Verizon.

So... can someone tell me if this plan will NOT work?

1. Family member is eligible for upgrade, already has 2GB data plan. Go into store and upgrade to Moto X for $1 and extend Verizon contract for 2 years.
2. On Verizon account, swap family member's new Moto X and my device (Galaxy Nexus, unlimited data still).
3. Buy Developer Edition Moto X from Motorola off contract at $550
4. Active Developer Edition Moto X on my account.
5. Sell the $1 Moto X on Swappa or like

All of this so I could get a Dev Edition Moto X and keep unlimited data for only about $201 assuming I can sell the 16GB $1 Moto X for maybe $350. Family member gets upgraded from Droid X to my Galaxy Nexus. Come March of this year, move my upgrade to family member's account if they don't like my Galaxy Nexus.

I called Verizon, the rep assured me there's no difference in buying and renewing contract at retailer versus at Verizon.

It seems like a bargain... what am I missing?

laur3n.newm4n

Dec 21, 2010
Manchester, NH
If you are using a family member's upgrade to receive the Moto X for $1 through the retailer, then yes, this will work. It's exactly like doing a buddy upgrade swap directly through Verizon. It is suggested that you activate the Moto X on your family member's line first, before you swap the device over to your line though, just to make sure Verizon processes the device upgrade on their line.

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
Yes, on our family plan, one of the lines is eligible for a discounted upgrade. So I'd go with them to store, upgrade/active the $1 Moto X, then maybe a day later login to Verizon account, swap phones with that line so now I have the Moto X and they have my Galaxy Nexus. Then I'd buy a developer edition Moto X at full price. Once it arrives, active it on my line. Then sell the original $1 Moto X on Swappa or somewhere to recoup costs on the Developer Edition Moto X I purchased. Then, if needed, I could also give my upgrade (coming in March) to the other line I used to get the Moto X for $1 in case they aren't happy with my old Galaxy Nexus, but probably won't be an issue, they're coming from a Droid X on 3G.

So I should be safe and fair game right?

Last edited:

savini72

Oct 16, 2010
Boston
just make sure you activate the phone on the # you got the upgrade for BEFORE you put it on the unlimited plan. i just did it with verizon. used my dads upgrade, activated on his #, went to verizon and then moved it to my unlimited plan.

J

justinisloco

Okay so a local Verizon authorized retailer is selling 16GB Moto X for $1 for new customers and for existing Verizon customers who are upgrade ready. I asked the guy if there were any catches, how it works with Verizon and all with future upgrades, he said there's no strings, they just upgrade through Verizon and I purchase the device from him instead of Verizon.

So... can someone tell me if this plan will NOT work?

1. Family member is eligible for upgrade, already has 2GB data plan. Go into store and upgrade to Moto X for $1 and extend Verizon contract for 2 years.
2. On Verizon account, swap family member's new Moto X and my device (Galaxy Nexus, unlimited data still).
3. Buy Developer Edition Moto X from Motorola off contract at $550
4. Active Developer Edition Moto X on my account.
5. Sell the $1 Moto X on Swappa or like

All of this so I could get a Dev Edition Moto X and keep unlimited data for only about $201 assuming I can sell the 16GB $1 Moto X for maybe $350. Family member gets upgraded from Droid X to my Galaxy Nexus. Come March of this year, move my upgrade to family member's account if they don't like my Galaxy Nexus.

I called Verizon, the rep assured me there's no difference in buying and renewing contract at retailer versus at Verizon.

It seems like a bargain... what am I missing?

Make sure this retailer doesn't have "charge backs" meaning they charge your credit card the full retail price of the phone if you take it off your account. I used to work at a retailer and this was something I was in charge of doing, seeing where we lost commission.

~The agnostic, dyslexic, insomniac stayed up all night wondering if there really was a dog~

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
Make sure this retailer doesn't have "charge backs" meaning they charge your credit card the full retail price of the phone if you take it off your account. I used to work at a retailer and this was something I was in charge of doing, seeing where we lost commission.

Ooh, okay, see that's good to know. So you're saying I'd probably be safe if after upgrading I swapped, but if I sell it and it shows up on another different Verizon account, there's a chance that they would then they bill you for the phone afterwards?

Doesn't seem right, if they're selling the device for $1.... Do retailers have the ability to track MEID numbers for this? Or do they just hit up Verizon all the time to check if phones have changed accounts?

How would I find out if they have charge backs?

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
After some reading, it sounds like you'd only get a chargeback if the line you upgraded on is cancelled, as in you sign up with Verizon, 2 years later you're eligible for upgrade, walk into retailer, upgrade line, then close VZW account and run off with device. Which is dumb anyway cause you'd have to pay the ETF, unless I guess you're planning to sell your contract and port your number over to a different service. So if I'm just upgrading the line, swapping phones, activating a new device on my line, upgraded line is still active, and sell the $1 moto x....

I assume I'd be fine then? as long as whoever I sell the moto X to doesn't cancel their contract??? Or as long as the line that was upgraded is still "on" then it wouldn't matter?

I found a post on HowardForums, google search howard forums chargebacks and it's the first link from about 2010, can't post links yet :( that talks about this.

TwinsMom

Aug 4, 2011
Just one note: If the upgrade line that you have coming up in March is the unlimited data line, you CANNOT ever use that upgrade, including transferring it to another line, AND keep unlimited data. When you transfer the upgrade you are effectively renewing the contract and they won't do that with the grandfathered unlimited data lines.

So if your friend/family member is not happy with the Nex, you won't be able to get a new phone for them with that upgrade. That is what I've been told at Verizon and read on this forum. If someone else has different info, please post, I'd love to be wrong!

Sent by my Android

shane1

Nov 22, 2010
Just one note: If the upgrade line that you have coming up in March is the unlimited data line, you CANNOT ever use that upgrade, including transferring it to another line, AND keep unlimited data. When you transfer the upgrade you are effectively renewing the contract and they won't do that with the grandfathered unlimited data lines.

So if your friend/family member is not happy with the Nex, you won't be able to get a new phone for them with that upgrade. That is what I've been told at Verizon and read on this forum. If someone else has different info, please post, I'd love to be wrong!

Sent by my Android

you can transfer upgrade to and from an unlimited line without loosing unlimited. you just cannot upgrade on the unlimited line.

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
Ooh, that's good to know, or at least something to watch out for. So come March when I'm eligible, it sounds like if I want to transfer my upgrade to the line I used to get the moto x, there's a change I'd lose unlimited data? Doesn't seem like I should, but maybe. I'd think it'd just renew my account for another 2, give them the upgrade, but... then how does that work? If line 1 just upgraded to moto x therefore renewing for another 2, what happens when I transfer my upgrade in march? can they just not use it for 2 years still? or is it a "free pass" to get two discounted devices in a row on that line?

enik_fox

Apr 4, 2011
Dahlonega, Ga
Just make sure he doesn't do a straight cross upgrade. He needs to do a regular upgrade on the line with 2 gigs then an equipment change to put it onto your line. An alternate/cross upgrade will kill your unlimited data and Verizon will not give it back

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
Just make sure he doesn't do a straight cross upgrade. He needs to do a regular upgrade on the line with 2 gigs then an equipment change to put it onto your line. An alternate/cross upgrade will kill your unlimited data and Verizon will not give it back.

Thanks! I plan to just do a regular upgrade with the one line that already has a 2GB/mo plan. Activate it there in the store and then leave. I'll do the swapping myself via the Verizon page where you enter the MEID numbers and junk, that way Best Buy doesn't mess anything up. That should work right?

Then simply purchase the dev edition, activate it on my account, then sell off the Best Buy moto x to recoupe costs.

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
96654555 830

I just had to call Verizon to unlock my account and happened to ask the guy about swapping phones on the website after upgrading the one line, he said not to do that because it treats swapping phones like that as somehow upgrading both? So instead the guy told me to call Verizon back after just upgrading the one line to swap devices and they'd guarantee I don't lose unlimited data. Hmm...

enik_fox

Apr 4, 2011
Dahlonega, Ga
Thanks! I plan to just do a regular upgrade with the one line that already has a 2GB/mo plan. Activate it there in the store and then leave. I'll do the swapping myself via the Verizon page where you enter the MEID numbers and junk, that way Best Buy doesn't mess anything up. That should work right?

Then simply purchase the dev edition, activate it on my account, then sell off the Best Buy moto x to recoupe costs.

You will need to buy another nano Sim then. When you deactivate it then put it on your line it will burn the nanosim in the phone itself and won't be able to be used again.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
Well, I did the deed. Went into the store and upgraded the other line to the moto x for $1, had the guy activate it and that was it. About an hour and a half later, I called Verizon and we spent about half hour on the phone swapping phones. Moto x is now on my line with its warranty and Gnex is transferred to the just updated line, 2GB data plan and I'm still on unlimited data. No new sims, no fuss, just a half hour conversation with a nice lady telling me about her warm fur coat while waiting for the phones to swap... Purchased my dev edition moto x already... all that's left is to activate it once it's here, then sell off the 16gb moto x as well as this old Droid X that was left behind in the process.

Best part was when they told me the device was $49.99 and the $1 sale was over and I told them well the sign says $1... they had forgotten to take down a sign at a dedicated Moto X display... win.

Last edited:

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
So far I'm loving my Developer Edition Moto X! Ordered it and it arrived 2 days later. Successfully have transferred all the phones around and still have my unlimited data plan. Now I just need to sell off the non-developer moto x as well as an old Droid X to recoup costs! Thanks for the input from everyone!

Mike7143

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm a few weeks in now and everything worked out great. Much appreciated! Hopefully this helps others in the same boat unless Verizon changes their policies.