5,598,542 Members 44,644 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto X for $1 and Keep Unlimited Data?

Tip us?

Mike7143
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Ooh, that's good to know, or at least something to watch out for. So come March when I'm eligible, it sounds like if I want to transfer my upgrade to the line I used to get the moto x, there's a change I'd lose unlimited data? Doesn't seem like I should, but maybe. I'd think it'd just renew my account for another 2, give them the upgrade, but... then how does that work? If line 1 just upgraded to moto x therefore renewing for another 2, what happens when I transfer my upgrade in march? can they just not use it for 2 years still? or is it a "free pass" to get two discounted devices in a row on that line?

enik_fox
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Just make sure he doesn't do a straight cross upgrade. He needs to do a regular upgrade on the line with 2 gigs then an equipment change to put it onto your line. An alternate/cross upgrade will kill your unlimited data and Verizon will not give it back

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Mike7143
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by enik_fox View Post
Just make sure he doesn't do a straight cross upgrade. He needs to do a regular upgrade on the line with 2 gigs then an equipment change to put it onto your line. An alternate/cross upgrade will kill your unlimited data and Verizon will not give it back.
Thanks! I plan to just do a regular upgrade with the one line that already has a 2GB/mo plan. Activate it there in the store and then leave. I'll do the swapping myself via the Verizon page where you enter the MEID numbers and junk, that way Best Buy doesn't mess anything up. That should work right?

Then simply purchase the dev edition, activate it on my account, then sell off the Best Buy moto x to recoupe costs.

Mike7143
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default 96654555 830

I just had to call Verizon to unlock my account and happened to ask the guy about swapping phones on the website after upgrading the one line, he said not to do that because it treats swapping phones like that as somehow upgrading both? So instead the guy told me to call Verizon back after just upgrading the one line to swap devices and they'd guarantee I don't lose unlimited data. Hmm...

enik_fox
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7143 View Post
Thanks! I plan to just do a regular upgrade with the one line that already has a 2GB/mo plan. Activate it there in the store and then leave. I'll do the swapping myself via the Verizon page where you enter the MEID numbers and junk, that way Best Buy doesn't mess anything up. That should work right?

Then simply purchase the dev edition, activate it on my account, then sell off the Best Buy moto x to recoupe costs.
You will need to buy another nano Sim then. When you deactivate it then put it on your line it will burn the nanosim in the phone itself and won't be able to be used again.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Mike7143
Old
(Last edited by Mike7143; 8th January 2014 at 05:37 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Well, I did the deed. Went into the store and upgraded the other line to the moto x for $1, had the guy activate it and that was it. About an hour and a half later, I called Verizon and we spent about half hour on the phone swapping phones. Moto x is now on my line with its warranty and Gnex is transferred to the just updated line, 2GB data plan and I'm still on unlimited data. No new sims, no fuss, just a half hour conversation with a nice lady telling me about her warm fur coat while waiting for the phones to swap... Purchased my dev edition moto x already... all that's left is to activate it once it's here, then sell off the 16gb moto x as well as this old Droid X that was left behind in the process.

Best part was when they told me the device was $49.99 and the $1 sale was over and I told them well the sign says $1... they had forgotten to take down a sign at a dedicated Moto X display... win.

Mike7143
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
So far I'm loving my Developer Edition Moto X! Ordered it and it arrived 2 days later. Successfully have transferred all the phones around and still have my unlimited data plan. Now I just need to sell off the non-developer moto x as well as an old Droid X to recoup costs! Thanks for the input from everyone!

Mike7143
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm a few weeks in now and everything worked out great. Much appreciated! Hopefully this helps others in the same boat unless Verizon changes their policies.

tjrssibelle
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Did you sell the Dev edition?

Sent from my VERIZON LG G2